Anxiety, heart problem, or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello im 16 year old male, for the past half a year, i've been getting chest pains, mainly on my left side of the chest, i've been getting palpitations from time to time, although quite rare. arm pains ussually left arm, pain would go down my arm to my fingers, i've got shortness of breath that seems to continue all day, almost everyday. some of the symptoms keep getting worse as time goes by, i've been to a hospital and got an ECG and blood tests done, and also another ECG done by an ambulance that i called, when i had a panic attack, that came out of nowhere, i was starting a game, and all of the sudden i felt panic. all the tests came back normal, i've been to my GP multiple of times, and he just laughs at me, or just says i souldnt worry about this at my age, and that it's most likely anxiety, but for me it doesnt seem to be like it. I get chest pains when i excercise, well mostly when i run... pain seems to stay in shoulder and left side chest area, although i can feel pain in the middle of my chest when breathing in, after an excercise, not during, but after, just as i stop. And now i keep getting twitches in my chest, what seems to be heart palpitations, but sometimes feels like muscle twitches (ussualy appear when im angry, or overall anxious, but sometimes random) i just cant tell which one it is. I daily check my blood pressure, and it's ussualy fine, sometimes a bit lower or higher, but i've been told it's normal. This is seriously ruining the way i look at life, sometimes i feel so down, and noone really understands me, my mom feels like im making this up, my gp advises me to see a coucelor, that i refused, thinking it's not anxiety and i can go through this by myself, i feel like ill die everyday, at any time. i dont  have motivation to study or do anything, i cant get a girlfriend as most of the time i worry about myself more than others, and im just scared of leaving the house, i feel sometimes like i just cant cope with this, i feel like i cant breathe all the time, like i just cant get enough air, and sometimes i just feel it would be better to just die, than to continue life like this, this is seriously ruining my life, before this i used to be quite active, and i would hangout with people, but now i just cant do this, everytime im around people or if im not home, i feel like im dying, and that something will happen, i mostly feel safely at home sitting in my chair beside a computer. i know this seems like anxiety, i've read so many forums and posted so much stuff. but these symptoms make me feel like it's something serious. Thank you for any replies!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My anxiety started very young. Very similar symptoms to you. But I still wouldn't believe it was just anxiety. Glad you had tests and came normal. I never told docs or family at first as I thought they would say pull yourself together( not helpful) glad you reached out as people on here won't say that they know this feeling. Keep asking if more people here have advice. Please don't say you want to die ( we've all said that when it's at worst and seems hopeless) there is hope .ive had this for years and now cope ( good for you for asking for help. Talk any time, YOUR NOT ALONE??

• Posted

Thank's, this helps. I really love life, thats the main reason im anxious but sometimes everything comes together into one big ball of emotions that make me think overwise. It really sucks that im getting daily pains, like now im getting shoulder, left side rib pains, and that was probably because i started to worry about the dizzyness im getting, sometimes i feel lightheaded as hell, out of nowhere, it might continue for a whole day or couple hours, or minutes... although my blood pressure is ussually normal. these symptoms are really tireing, and to top it of, i feel like some of these symptoms cant be really caused by anxiety, but by some heart disease that no one finds, thats why im so anxious.

• Posted

Great you replied. My heart still races like mad sometimes for no reason , I know it's anxiety even if I'm not feeling that anxious at time ( crazy) . The pains in your ribs etc are tension from constantly anxious. I hold myself so tight sometimes my ribs shoulders neck jaw hurt, and head like migraine . This is horrid and uncomfortable illness and tries to drive us mad. Hang in(I say it again' your not alone 'wink keep me updated??

• Posted

yeah great you replied back. my heart doesnt race as often, it ussualy skips or adds a beat... although not often, most common symptoms are arm, shoulder, chest pains with shortness of breath (that doesnt seem to go away, unless im distracted i guess) and sometimes lightheadness, whichi s really scary tbh, i feel like im dreaming sometimes if im walking outside. also i get gasy stomach, and sometimes stomach pain if im a bit anxious or not home.
    • Posted

Get heart racing. Also that skip a bit feeling. Lightheaded and strange dreamy feeling not unusual. This is a mental illness that plays sleuth our head it's exhausting. Stomach gassy or acid is common. My shoulders kill and neck head jaw( think I mentioned before. We do love to concentrate on every pain. Good thing to be aware but anxiety sufferers obsess. Keep talking , your doing well, ??

• Posted

UPDATE: Also, one thing that is concerning me, is that after a meal i get low blood pressure, or lightheadness, which i dont think is right... i've read it's a symptom of a heart disease, this worries me too.

• Posted

Hi don't read symptoms and what it could be. This is when you do need doctors advice. Could be something trivial. Lots of people ask doctors about this , you haven't eaten then you eat , your body and mind are connected, anxiety could make you feel woozy. ( equally if you don't eat enough). Try not to take your no as much , I have high blood pressure ( dangerous as it started in teens, doctor hadn't seen this as bad before. I take blood pressure tablets and even with my anxiety I just get on with it) my doc regularly. checks it. I know it's easy to say don't worry, I used to think.... bleep you don't understand. Keep talking we do know how u feel??

• Posted

yeah, i guess... also what i've noticed is, i get palpitations (skipped beats ect...) when playing a competitive game, when im the action in the game, i feel my heart flutter, and sometimes i feel like the pain coming from my heart, i guess games can trigger anxiety?

• Posted

Of course . And also after activity. Lots of chemicals in brain and body linked. Glad your starting to see anxiety can cause all this. Get this obsessive thinking the worst better and you may still feel some symptoms but won't worry as much. Easier said I know . All been there. Believe' ??

• Posted

it's really weird how bad it can get, like i made my self believe, that i shouldnt start something long-time taking activity or playing an mmo type of game, as ill die soon and wont be able to finish what i've started... damn this is bad.

• Posted

also, my mom is pressuring me to get a job, and i didnt apply to college next year, i just feel demotivated to do anything, and i feel like if i would get a job this would get a lot worse.
    • Posted

It is bad . Plays with our rational thoughts but your not mad. That's the good thing. It's very irrational to think I won't do something bacause I may die. Ask if anybody else out here has tackled this( sure there is) wish I could help more on that one. I obsess loads but that's awful. Wish we could just stop these thoughts before they start playing games with our heads . Keep up good work??

• Posted

Yeah didn't want to get jobs , made anxiety worse,thought people were thinking thugs about me . Anxious and paranoid. Had to push myself . Worked with mum at first so felt safe then grew in confidence . You have to work it will take your mind off problem. You may still dread going in but have to try. Think about options. Would do you so good to get something not too stressful perhaps just a few nice people?seems impossible ( if I can do it you can my social anxiety was off the scale??

• Posted

yeah, i get it. Its just that i dont feel ready of any of this, i've moved to other country, 3 years ago, and here it's quite different i feel a little bit pressured to rush into things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.