Anxiety........ I have a tightness around my jaw an throat is this normal?

Posted , 48 users are following.

Hi all

I'm new to this site an also new to having anxiety disorder, I keep experiencing all these new feelings mostly pains, an I don't know if they are normal or just me being ott an worrying again. My latest problem is this tight feeling almost like a cramp in the my throat / jaw, I've been checking my mouth also, done the ultimate an went on Google an now convinced myself I've got cancer of the mouth or throat! Does anyone else experience these things? X

6 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

With health anxiety ita normal and usual to feel pain or discomfort practically anywhere, as you know if you then focus on it then it'll just magnify. Also checking Google-never do it. Check with your Dr if your concerned and believe them when they say your fine, or ask for therapy to help you deal with the root anxiety, but never google
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm currently waiting to start cbt so im hoping that will help, I've avoided going on medication as I have two children am don't want to be spaced out or anything! X
    • Posted

In my personal experience, medication, psychotherapy, and exercise work extremely well as a team in helping with depression and anxiety. They can each help somewhat without the other two but as a trio I have my life back. No, I'm not 100% symptom free but my quality of life has improved drastically. I cannot overemphasize how helpful medication has been. I improved some with therapy and exercise but when I added medication the results were amazing. I never feel spaced out. I just feel what I can only assume is normal. I am much happier and more productive using meds, therapy and exercise. I really hope you'll reconsider the use of medication as part of your treatment. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I'm a 29 year old Male and I've been suffering from health anxiety for almost 2 years now. It comes and goes from time to time which made me go to the ER multiple times since it all began. This last flare up started making me feel very depressed and the physical symptoms are endless. I started therapy twice but never moved forward with it because I refused to take any meds. I always thought it was gonna mess up my brain chemistry and make me addicted. Ive always been an active person and exercise really does wonders for me when I'm at a stage that I'm feeling really anxious or down. I'm considering to start therapy once again along with medication.

• Posted

Hi Jayne.

What med helps , I am currently on ativan . however , I still have pain.

• Posted

Not all meds space you out. That's a common misconception. The right meds will not space you out and you will function normally and no one will be the wiser to your condition. Don't let that idea stop you from getting help. 

• Posted

Hi Laura, anxiety can cause so many different problems. If you're on meds they can heighten problems you already have and make a lot more in the early stages with side effects.

Try to stay calm and go with the flow, it will get better.

Oh and don't use google, that will convince you the absolute worst!!

• Posted

Hi Laura, 

I have Anxiety, Panic etc. I've had a tight feeling in my throat all day, the only advice I can give you is just try and ignore it and keep yourself busy. I also find drinking water eases it for me, might want too try that, see if that helps?. smile

Please don't Google your symptoms, I've fallen into that trap a million times and it's the worse thing you can do lol!

Hope you feel better. X

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, it's funny how just hearing from other ppl that experience the same things make me feel better ( sorry if that sounds bad ).

I'm always busy as I also have ocd an to be honest I dont know how to relax which I know sounds totally stupid!

Thank you though for taking the time to reply to me an I wish you well your end x

• Posted

I know what you mean Laura, its nice to talk to people who understand. 😊

• Posted

Water is a big ease for me. Xanex is awesome for panic attacks. Stops them inside 20 minutes for me. Much faster than kalanopin. But thumbs up on the water. 
    • Posted

True, having OCD definitely makes it difficult to actually put relaxation into practice.  I know because I have it too. I am an autistic high functioning adult and I know exactly how it feels to be unable to relax and I also have anxiety so... I completely understand. 

• Posted

Hi sweety,

Yes, this is normal. It is probably from clenching your jaw, anxiety can make you do that without even realizing you are. I experienced it more in the beginning of my disorder, now I don't as much but I still sometimes do. It's scary, but I'm willing to bet it's not cancer just anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Whitney

Thank you for replying, may I ask how do you cope with your anxiety?I'm currently waiting to start cbt, not taking any meds either. I just want to wake up without a care in the world yet that seems impossible at the moment 😭 x

• Posted

I've selt with it using therapy and medicine. I've also learned a few breathing trick which helps greatly. I think it's great youre taking CBT that will help greatly. I also color in a color book when I have bad anxiety, read, watch a funny show and write in a journal. Sipping some tea or a warm (not hot because it might make you light headed) bath could help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.