Anxiety & IBS vicious cycle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. 

I had (what I assume was) a tummy bug a few weeks ago. Not a particularly dreadful one, but my few hours of diarrhoea coincided exactly with the few hours our toilet was out of action due to building work on our house! So I spent a horrendous time dashing in the car to the nearest shop with a toilet, and then knocking on my next door neighbours door as well... Anyway, a couple of days later I started to be anxious that I might have something seriously wrong. The following day anxiety and agitation hit me like a brick wall. Since then, I've had six weeks where most (but not all) days have followed a similar pattern - urgent visits to the loo all morning, accompanied by varying degrees of anxiety. During the day I cannot face much food, but the anxiety and tummy seem to settle during the afternoon, so that most evenings I feel pretty normal. Only for the same cycle to start up again the next day. I should say that I am on antidepressants (Venlafaxine) and since March have also been on Mirtazapine, which I feel have done me more harm than good.  So I have just last week started (with GPs blessing) to wean of the Mirtazapine. Obviously I realise this could also be having an effect on my anxiety. I'm just so fed up of the vicious cycle I'm in, and cannot seem to break it.  

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm seeing a tiny bit improvement each day now. Still not liking mornings, but I think I'm getting there - slowly. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.