Anxiety in college

Posted , 5 users are following.

My daughter has just been kicked out of college due to her anxiety and depression issues. Basically she was put on a fitness to learn programme last year but it was just for the one year, this year she was constantly told that she wasn't on the programme anymore so basically had to shape up. Now she has just been told, due to her absences there is nothing more they can do to help her and it's best if she leaves. She feels such a failiure and they have suceeded in making her feel worse than before. Is this right that they can do this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Doesnt seem ethical to me at all... And discriminatory!. I would seek professional advice.. Bless her. Sending hugs..xx
  • Posted

Hi Tracey. What's your daughters attendance being like? Did she has support it get her to college? Have you provided college with medical evidence? Colleges do ask students to leave if they have low attendance. 
    • Posted

Hey Amber, the college was aware of her problems as they have actually witnessed her in the middle of severe panic attacks. I have given them details of her doctor and explained to them that her doctor has said if they need any evidence to contact them. I have to admit she has only made it in two weeks since september, but this is due to the tutors telling her over and over again that she is not on a fitness to learn contract this year so she has to pull herself together (as if she can turn attacks and depression on and off) also due to the fact there is a rather obnoxious lad in her class that intimidates her.
  • Posted

Disgusting. Similar thing happened to me as a mature student. Great till I started suffering from anxiety. To cut a long story short, uni agreeded to me having a year out and they deferred that year. This gave me time to deal with issues and went back the next year. Could your daughter not do that? If not could she do an online degree/course. It would occupy her, give her something to feel good about herself. Do agree about the discrimination aspect though.

suppose she had a heart condition, or needy chemo, daily dialysis etc, no uni would kick a student out for that. It winds me up that just because you can't see anxiety/depression like a broken leg, people who've never suffered from it, think it's an excuse and it's something nasty so brush it under the carpet.

your daughter is obviously intelligent to go to uni. There are ways to get a degree without uni. My daughter is doing NVQ level 5 (degree standard) whilst working

With people who have mental health issues (like her mum!!). She is not a failure and please keep in touch as to how she's doing.

• Posted

This is terrible. I actually want to swear. It doesn't seem very accommodating at all to your daughters needs. Please tell her from me,she didn't fail,she did all she could do,they failed her!!

My sons just completed his level 1 and started level 2 in plastering and the have stopped his course because there are not enough people in the class.

It disgusts me. It really does.

Your daughter is not a failure..she is awesome..So many if us adults can't even step a foot through the door with anxiety and depression so the fact that she often made it to college is brilliant. 

I would certainly think about writing to your local paper or your MP and telling them what has happened.

Im really sorry this has happened to your girl but this is not it for her. One day all this anxiety and depression will be a distant memory and she will be able to stand up and show em what she's made of xx

• Posted

Well said Gillian. To me it's total discrimination. Tracey you're daughter is not a failure. See my earlier suggestions
  • Posted

Thank you all so much, my daughter has read your replies and feels better for it. I am going to take it further, I mean how many more people are going to punished for suffering from anxiety and depression. 
    • Posted

Hi again Tracey. Just home so can read the messages on her properly. 

It doesn't sound like the college are being supportive to the needs of your daughter. How did she get on last year? What was her attendance like?

I work in education welfare so support young people with anxiety and depression in accessing education. I've found some establishments to be absolutely wonderful and others to be very dismissive. 

The issue with college aged students is they are no longer compulsory school age so it seems schools and colleges will just ask students to leave if they are not attending. 

Please feel free to message me. I'd love to be able to help. I think education is so important and I'd love your daughter to be able to access a supportive environment, 

• Posted

Her attendance last year, after being put on the fitness to learn, was pretty much ok. She was always up to date with her work. Since september this year I have to admit her attendance has not been good, first my Mum (her Nan) was rushed into hospital with heart failure which was serious then she fell ill with a flu virus and what with her panic attacks at high level due to a lad in her class that intimidates her, things have been really bad, I explained this to the college, but it was like they had one thing on their mind and that was to ask her to leave.
    • Posted

Is there another college that she could go to? 

It sounds like a terrible start to the academic year for her. 

I really wish the college could be supportive. 

• Posted

And when I say terrible, I mean the things happening around, not your daughter being terrible. 
    • Posted

The college she attended is basically down the road within walking distance which was perfect for her. I feel I need to complain about how they handled the situation but I don't know who to complain to. 
    • Posted

Citizens advice bureau is a good start. Or human resources for the college. I would start with the HR and if you get no joy then go to the citizens advice bureau xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.