Anxiety is back...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I'm hoping for some good advice or reassuring words I'm really not crazy lol. I had a bad flu back in January that attacked my thyroid giving me something called thyroiditis which gave me hyperthyroidism and extreme anxiety. My doc started me on propranolol I think Thats how u spell it. Anyways after a month or so on that and pen ativan the hyperthyroidism went away but the anxiety stayed. Doc started me on citalapram20 and I've been ok on that all summer with the occasional anxiety. This Tuesday I had a bad anxiety attack and bam its like I'm starting from the beginning😳 anxiety horrible again, so dizzy, nauseous and feel that pit in my stomach. Went to docs he said labs ok heart good and bumped me to 40mg which into scared to start for fear of worse anxiety😳 anyone experience any of this?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

The only way for you to get better is to avoid be anxious again. Trust me you have to control your behaviours, thoughts and your view of life.

Only then you will get rid of all these.

best

• Posted

hi there, i went from 10 to 20 to 30 in the space of three months, didnt have any affect was like you with the depression and anxiety, dr changed me to venlaxafine 35mg then 75mg then 150mg and since june ive been on 275mg, still have days when its like starting all over again its awful when BAM! IT HITS AGAIN BUT FORTUNATELY THE GOOD DAYS NOW OUT WEIGH THE BAD, stick with it i have thyroiditus to have meds for that and various other things so antidepressants take a bit longer to kick in, citalopram can take  a while then the body gets used to dose and if your not better it has no affect, BE STRONG stick with it. gentle hugs x
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one in the world suffering :-D
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie,

How or why your anxiety is hightened can be down to a number of factors happening with your health or in your life. Firstly, if you haven't started from 20mg to 40mg (which is a bit of a hike for anyone) talk to your Dr about just going up by 10mg.

Like Jayne, I started on 10mg and increased by ten to 40mg over as many months. The side effects were not as harsh,or was I just getting used to them? Who knows, but I did level out. I didn't realise Cita causes hightened anxiety before it can treat it, I didn't know I had it, but I soon did. Wham! This and other side effects meant after I suffered 'man flu' in the first 3-4 weeks began to show themselves. The anxiety meant I didn't want to go out, then only for short walks with Fiancee and then slightly longer ones, but never on my own. The three to four months in I had no option, but to go out on my own. I made myself take the "bull by the horns" and did it. Scary, but I managed it. Mind you I was glad to get bakc home.

I have also had a couple of medical problems which saw me going to outpatients back in June and then (for something completely different) being rushed in on 1st Sep, having major stomach surgery and spending 11 day after in hospital with pipes hanging out, a catheter (oops! sorry, I guess some of you are still having breakfast!!!) Moving on! At the time I do remember wondering if they could do a bit of liposuction while they were down there! Lol!

Just before this, I was considering reducing, which HAS to be done gradually and slowly, but this is still on the back burner. I am only just getting over a week or so of small "down" moments. Funny, looking back these would have been far worse if I hadn't just managed to try and get a grip and accept what was happening (not that easy for a male sometimes or being ex-service), go with the flow and help meself a little - after all my Dr who is fantastic and knows a lot about "sticking plasters for the brain" was doing her bit, so was my Fiancee, Daughter and those friends that understood.

So, I changed me lifestyle gave up smoking, cut back by, I guess about 99.9% of the daily drinking (to get me through work the next day) and turning piscaterian (? not sure (or is it presbyterian!!!), but the only meat we eat, for health reasons, is seafood). I do need more exercise once I have had my follow up appt at the hospital next Thursday when, I hope, they say yer good to go! And I can do more to get fit.

The important thing for all of us is to try and be strong, be positive no matter how crap things get. When things are good store these away for when times are bad, it does help to review how far you've come when yer feelink down ro just plain yuk!

Keep reading the posts here, keep posting no matter how insignificant the post may seem to you, you'll get all the advice and support you need here. My Fiancee, Ann, reads the posts too and has a far better understanding of what me and so many of us are going through, this helps tremendously!

Best wishes,

David

• Posted

Oh yes one more thing! I find this med affects my spelling when replying to posts! So, sorry for those above! Lol! D
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure if it was the smartest thing but I went all in last night and took the 40mg. Fingers crossed I figured I just want to get this over and back to normal lol. Still feeling about the same, little nauseous, headache and anxiety comes and goes. Slept from 8pm tp 330am and couldn't fall back but I had that happen when this first began so hopefully it will fix itself. Again thank you for responding it reallllly helps and makes me feel just a little less nutty :-D
    • Posted

Hey Stephanie,

If you're nutty, then we're all nutty!

As you spend time onthis site you will realise that we all want to get better "back to noram", but it takes time. I wanted to get better quicker than what I did and "get back to normal quickly". It just ain't happened for me and for (some of) those that it does well, they only find themselves coming back. Either "got better" too quickly or need to stay on Cita because they do!

Anyway, what is "normal"??? I thought that is exactly what I should do, but I realised why would I want to go back that made me ill in the first place?! So, we have had to tighten our belts (my lifestyle change helped here!) and I have bascially retired! Getting better, but then still ill, yet no more of those unnatural man made pressures to grind me down!

We are all keepiing our fingers crossed for you, but you must expect a bit of a rough ride (in case you do) and then wait until it all levels out. Do not rush it!

Keep reading and keep posting we're here to help! (Or we're just darn nosey! Lol!)

Best Wishes,

David

• Posted

Yes im hoping to get this into my system and start feeling better in a few weeks, when I went from 10mg to 20mg I dont think I had many side effects. So maybe it will all be ok. Thanks again for your help :-D
    • Posted

Hi Stephanie,

Okay, but be prepared if this time (only maybe) is different than before. It may well be an easy transition, but as I say be prepared in case it isn't.

And don't forget we're here!

Regards,

David

• Posted

hi stepanie.i was the same as you.i have been on 40mg for about 11 weeks,and am getting better every day,you think you will ever get better but you will.

deexxx

• Posted

Hi friends well I'm on day 5 of 40mg and feel about50% better. Still have morning anxiety pretty bad for some reason? I do feel better throughout the day I take an ativan 0.5mg the days I have to work but the days imo off I make myself tough it out, don't want to be hooked on ativan. Still have constant headache, nausea and kinda shaky. My anxiety is still there but not as bad seems like I feel better than next day crappy. I hope things even out soon but I guess I have no choice lol. Hope everyone is feeling better themselves. Have a great day 😍
    • Posted

Morning Stephanie,

Yes thanks, feeling pretty good today! Have a hospital appointment to get out of the way tomorrow and then, hopefully, there'll be a clear level road ahead.

Re hoping things even out soon, don't put pressure on Cita or yourself as (altogether now!) "it takes as long as it takes!". Just try and take one day at a time and look forward without any pressure. Let things happen as they come and if its a bit of bad angst or a downer so be it and carry on. There will come a time when you'll realise you haven't had many negatives as the positives out weigh them gradually.

Keep a sense of humour as that will help you laugh the bad away!

Keep reading, posting and chatting!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.