Anxiety is causing me to have a phobia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've always been able to drive and never been scared of heights. The doctor states that my anxiety is causing me to have a phobia in driving and in heights, so he put me on 15mg of mirtazapine. Do u think this will fix the issue???

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I personally would NOT go on mirtazapine for a phobia. You would be much better having hypnosis or cognitive behavioural therapy. Mirtazapine is a very powerful anti depressant which is very difficult for some people to get free from. It is a very good anti-depressant and works very quickly. It also aids sleep, but people can put on a large amount of weight whilst on it and it makes you too drowsy to drive for a coupplle of weeks or so. So personally, in your situation there is no way I would take it.
    • Posted

'couple' not 'coupplle'
    • Posted

Hello ,thank you for responding back. I was wondering the samething but 3yrs ago I got diagnosed with an illness that caused me to go in depression. So then I would always think about death that cause me to have panic attacks when I'm driving. I went from celexa to lexapro now to this. I just want to be normal again I can drive around a little but when I'm at a red light for to long my anxiety kicks in then here comes a panic attack.
    • Posted

Ah, okay, I see. If you have depression, then I can highly recommend mirtazapine for its treatment. It doesn't suit everyone, but for those it works for there is nothing better.
    • Posted

Anxiety does. Anxiety and depresssion often go hand in hand.
  • Posted

Yes depression and anxiety causes panic attacks. I've found mirtazapine and venlafaxine combination effective in controlling them. Pixie
    • Posted

Thank you for responding, I just want to drive normal again! I'm on day 2 of the mirtazapine and I feel weird, I toss n turn and wake up during the night is that normal? Cause I thought it was supposed to let u sleep at night !
    • Posted

Adior. What dose are you on ? Lower doses are better for sleep. Higher doses are better for depression. I'm on 15mg which help with sleep but some nights I struggle. The weird feelings should disappear after a few days. Good luck
    • Posted

I'm on the 15mg he wanted to start low but no sleeping normal at night I slept fine without the meds I just want to drive normal again
    • Posted

Adior  15mg should have a sedative effect but everyone is different. All I can suggest is give it a few more days and then discuss with your doc if this really is the right medication for your current problem. 
  • Posted

Rest assured Adior, the fear of heights & fear when driving you are experiencing comes under the umbrella term of "fear of fears", and it is a very common symptom amongst sufferers of depression, anxiety and insomnia.  We can have these abnormal fears, or challenging thoughts on any given subject at all.

If you decide to stay on Mirtazapine it is well worth, at the same time (I agree with Evergreen here) doing some CBT therapy, it will strenghen your mind and help rid these unwanted "spam" thoughts.

Wishing you well smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.