Anxiety, is it real?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok so my mother in law is the most selfish unsympathetic person I have ever met, she fails to understand anything that she doesn't 100% agree with so as soon as you have a difference of opinion you are wrong in her eyes. Anyway she tells me constantly that my anxiety is made up, I'm a drama queen and love the drama and when things are "too quiet" I cause drama myself and blame it on my anxiety. Now the thing with my anxiety is I doubt myself so much when I'm having an episode at times I start to think she can be right. But when I thought k logically about it I literally have no control over my feelings and reactions in certain situations even when I know I'm

Being irrational and it doesn't always make sense. I think it's so easy for people to blame their actions at times on mental illness, but i was just wanting people's thoughts on anxiety being made up? I have no real physical side effects just crippling self doubt in every aspect of my life so it makes it harder for me to deal with normal situations, going to social events 'wetting new people, progressing at work, judging myself as a mother/girlfriend/friend etc. And I think because I have no physical side effects I stet to believe my mother in law when she says I make it up?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kiera,Poor you! Anxiety is very real.i have had Anxiety since I was a child.Both my late parents,were Alcoholic s! & I was packed off to an all girl's boarding school at the age of 9 years old! My late mother passed away when I was18 & in the school holidays they argued each day & I felt very insecure.Now I am a carer for my right Hubby.My advice is to block out negative people around you regard s Amanda h

• Posted

I would like to start of by saying that anxiety is a dangerous mental illness. It's not for anyone to judge, but we need to understand it. Ask yourself to think of something that made you mad and think about what was said that really p*ssed you off. Now did you really do it or just ignore me. Now think of something that makes you happy, really think about it and smile feel your heart, Do it for real!! Ok one more thing think of something in the future you want to accomplish really visualize yourself reaching that goal. You should have had three different emotions and three body philosophy changes. Your mind doesn't know the difference between reality or not, it it only knows what you put in it. let's look at anxiety really first and for most it is an important feel because it can tell us there is something wrong with your body and mine, and it's called FEAR which translates to anxiety, something has triggered that emotion. The technical terms is called Cortisol a stress hormone that's is released in your body and because of FEAR it =ANXIETY . Let's look At fear its the unknown you fear it because it brings change. We eathir are afraid of something because we experience a problem at one Time our another in life. Or it's made up because of something we believe will happen because you have heard or seen about it. Your mind doesn't know the difference. Last point by creating these beautiful thoughs or evil thoughts this is your blue print that you've excepted for your life. Change you beliefs change your life.

• Posted

You mother  in law  lacks compassion. She cannot relate to it so she doesn't think it's a real thing. Lucky her. But that lack of knowledge and understanding is on her not you. I'm going to tell you story LOL.. My mother-in-law did not understand my anxiety. She was not mean about  it but she did not understand it at all. Later in her life she developed CLL leukemia somewhere along the way with all the medications and how it affected her lungs she started getting anxiety attacks. Which is very common when  your lungs are affected. She called me up one night to tell me she think she experienced what  I had once described to her as a panic attack and wanted to know how I was able to even live with it. She ran to the doctor and was told it was an anxiety attack. She went on ativan that night.  That is not the way you ever want someone to be able to relate to you but she was a very kind person and she really just didn't know something that terrorizing could exist. Unfortunately she got to experience it. But she wasnt rude or mean about it ever, at least not to my face we got along well. She has since passed.

• Posted

I'm sorry for your lose but your story tells many that don't discount other people's feels because maybe one day it will happen to them.

• Posted

That's just horrible my

Mother in law is like that too just not as harsh! She tells me I'm the wife and mother and the Rock and I have to hold it together and keep it together for my family and just be positive and blah bla blah

• Posted

Just be positive and you have nothing to worry about are my two most hated statements lol!!! Sick of people telling me that! Trying to explain to someone that in their reality I may have nothing to worry about but in my head at that very moment I'm trying to cope with worry my partner is leaving me and my little boy doesn't like me and I'm failing as a parent is a hard task haha! x

• Posted

Be true to you Kiera. Don't listen to monster in law. If she really knew, she would know your feelings and well being.

?Make an appointment to see your doctor then move on to the next step. Maybe taking a med will help balance you out. It's ok to ask for help.

You are a wonderful mother, girlfriend and friend. Don't let anyone tell you different.

?We on the this forum are bound by a common thread which is anxiety. You are aprt of our family and we are here to support you.

?You'll be in my thoughts. Sending you positive vibes. Keep posting and let us know how things go. Take care kiera!

• Posted

Do not listen to a word she says!!

Anxiety is very real, just because people can't see an illness doesn't mean it's not there. My husbands family are the same, I have had his sister tell me to pull myself together and get over it as my kids were suffering. I still wish they could experience just for one day what we do daily.

Please do not let mindless people judge u like that, ur doing amazing x

• Posted

That's the thing isn't it, because they can't see physical symptoms all the time they just assume it's not real. And as doubt is a huge factor with my anxiety I honestly start to wonder if she's right. So glad I joined this forum as its really nice to see I'm not alone, thanks smile x

• Posted

Is it possible that sometimes you are being irrational and illogical and don't realize it? I don't mean to be rude but anxiety causes all this and that is probably why you are both arguing the toss.

• Posted

Is it possible that sometimes you are being irrational and illogical and don't realize it? I don't mean to be rude but anxiety causes all this and that is probably why you are both arguing the toss.

• Posted

Perhaps I am missing something but where is your husband? Does he live with you? Does he have anything to say?
    • Posted

Yeah we are together and he lives with me. He disagrees with her opinions on it and has told me to wash my hands with her and accept those are her views and pretty much take nothing to do with her. She called me back by accident a few weeks ago after I had a phone call with her and didn't realise she called me back and say for over 15 minutes telling her friend who was there everything I had told her and how she doesn't know why her son is with me and she can't be bothered with me I'm a pain and make up lies about anxiety for attention and she feels sorry for her son for being with me etc. And that's what started his latest episode off. Haven't been able to shake it. She's totally destroyed my confidence. We were really close went shopping together every week I popped by all the time for visit with my little boy, went to family events together, and she told this friend of hers everything I had told her that day on the phone which clearly was told to her in confidence. She realised about 15 minutes into the call and gasped so I hung up then sent her a txt saying nice to know what you really think of me ... She then turned up at my door ten minutes later trying to talk but I told her to leave as wasn't interested in talking to her. This was 5 weeks ago and any time I have saw her since she tries to act like nothing has happened, never mentioned it again, no apology, nothing just Carries on as if nothing happened. Meanwhile I barley look at her, only answer when spoken to as a direct question and all other times hardly acknowledge she's there. I'm going to have to face up to things and explain to her how she made me feel and that I literally do not want anything to do with her, and my partner stands by me saying that and agrees she was out of order the way she acted, but as I'm in the middle of an anxiety flare up I can't seem to muster the guts to just text/call/go see her and tell her straight! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.