Anxiety is making me want to leave my job

Posted , 31 users are following.

I have been suffering with anxiety attacks and constant worrying for about 6 months now. I use to be able to control the worries but now it is getting so out of control that I making myself ill and I am scared to go into work. I drive to work every morning in fear and get emotional the closer I get to work.

When I get to work I can't focus or concentrate at work due to the anxiety of failure. I have got into my head that I am not good enough for this job and that I am out of my depth. I put things off at work and let things build up because I am frightened to speak to people or that I will say the wrong thing. I try to do a hundred things a once and end up not finishing anything. My mind is so cluttered that I can not prioritise things. I really just want to get in my car and run away from everything.

All I want to be is a normal guy that can support his family and hold down a job without anxiety getting in the way.

I know there a lot worse of people in the world to me but I don't want to go my whole life struggling with anxiety and being a burden on my wife.

I am having counselling which is helping slowly but I am wondering if drugs are the answer?

Has anyone got any advice to stop these negative thoughts and anxiety souring out of control? How do I learn to concentrate and focus better without anxiety creeping in?

Thanks

Regards

Dan

3 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Dan,

Just having read your posting ,I know there are a lot of people in here also going through what you are going through so I imagine you will get a number of replies.

I too suffer from Anxieties ,etc.No I personally don`t take prescribed drugs for it ,I have always been for the complimentary therapies for my problems.

This though is not something everyone wants to use.

My own feeling is that a  prescibed drug does not get down to the root cause of your problem ,it simply helps to ease the sysmptoms.,Hence you get the sysmptoms again and again .

But what you use ,is solely down to you  yourself,if you feel better seeing a Dr ,then that is the way for you ,if you chooses to use the complmentary therapies ,then that too is down to whatever you prefer.

There are always some side effects ,with the drugs,But I have not had any side effects from using complimentary.

This is just my own opinion ,and everyone else will also have theirs ,which they will post .I wish you good luck in what ever you choose .

Take Care

millyimp1322

• Posted

Hi Millyimp

Many thanks for replying to back to me and for your advice.

I wasn't aware about complimentary therapies so I will do some research on these before I go down the prescribed drugs route.

• Posted

one better is to make an appointment and see a complimentary/integrated doctor for a consult. Then you will get proper guidance and treatment. It isnt so easy to do on your own as each remedy toots its own horn. Many complimentary doctors specialize in this area as it is becoming very common to go alternative instead of  the traditional meds.i think its safer too 
  • Posted

A visit to your doctor to enquire about a suitable oral medication might prove fruitful, however all the meds that are usually prescribed for axiety do take time to work.

Hopefully a combination of conselling and oral medication should improve your situation.

All the best

Rod

• Posted

Thank you Rod for your reply and feedback.

I am reluctant to use prescribed drugs as I am concerned that I may get addicted to them and struggle to wean myself of them. However I am getting to the point that I will try anything to control the anxiety and worry,

Cheers

Dan

• Posted

Good morning Dan.

I do understand your concerns about addiction.

The simple fact is that anxiety is a serious illness that needs does need tackling head-on.

In some cases counselling has been known to help, but if you really want to have any quality of life then being medicated is the way to go,

Yes these drugs can have addictive properties, but looking at the upside, this does not often happen, but if it does then alternative non-addictive medications are available which can be substituted.

All the best

Rod

• Posted

Get on some meds and/or leave your job.My job made me sick for years and it aint worth it.
    • Posted

Thanks sugarloaf for the advice. I am getting to the point where I am going to leave but I need another job lined up before I leave. I better get my Cv at to date 😄
  • Posted

Hi Dan, 

I think medication may help in the short-term - as it can help calm you down so you can think more clearly. (I fought it when it was suggested to me, but it did help and doesn't mean you have to be on it for the rest of your life). 

I defnitely think you are doing the right thing in seeking counselling, This will help if you give it time and really work with it. 

Have you been back to your doctor? If work is causing you more stress, it may be work having a couple of weeks off work, signed off sick by the dr, if they think this may help. 

However, remember that if you take this avenue, the longer you have off, the worse returning will be. I am not saying don't do this -j ust don't expect that you will ever feel like you actively want to go back - you will most probably feel anxiety the day you return; but this is a normal feeling. 

Also - if you can be honest and talk to someone at work about what is happening, this may also help. Firstly maybe they can do something to help relieve your anxiety and stop you feeling like you are rubbish at your job. Plus should the dr decide to sign you off work, then your workplace will have an understanding as to what is going on; and therefore hopefully wouldn't push for you to be back before you are ready. 

However, I know everyone's situation is different and this option may not be suitable to you. 

Good luck with everything and take care. 

• Posted

Hi Ange1a

Thank so much for the detailed response. I did see the doctor at the beginning of Feb and got signed off for 2 weeks. The time off really helped clear my head but as soon as I went back to work the anxiety attacks started again. I went back to work this Monday and your right the anxiety was particular bad and this week has not been great but I am determined to fight through it. People at work have been very supportive but I still feel alone and the workload has not decreased. I think I don't help myself because I put too much pressure on myself to get everything done straight away.

Does anxiety cause memory loss? I seem to forget things quire a lot.

Also I struggle to concentrate not just at work but at home as well. If I watch TV programmes then I struggle to absorb what I am watching. If people are talking to me my mind wonders and I struggle to remember the conversation. Do you think this Is linked to anxiety? Would meds help me concentrate and focus better?

Sorry for all the questions

• Posted

Don't apologise. :-)

Yes... I find both anxiety & depression affect my ability to absorb information & to retain it.

I do think medication would help to calm you down and be able to deal with things better. They (the gp) normally puts you on a low dose & build up accordingly over time, if necessary. Remember this wouldn't have to be long-term.... however when you start ferling better you need to discuss how best to come off your meds... if you just stop, you may well end up back at square one with your moods.

Don't let the above comment put you off considering meds... I only say it as it's tempting when you feel better (& feel you don't need them anymore) to just stop.... but it doesn't mean it will take ages to come off them... it could just take a few wks

• Posted

Hi dan

Trying to hold down a job whilst suffering

Is not a good combination . I know how you feel From experience . until you do something about it , it's not going to change

It's worth taking some time off albeit use some

Accrued holidays this will give you time

To rest , reflect and plan your next move

Is it your job that's causing the anxiety ?

If so start looking elsewhere

No job is worth the way your feeling right now . Am I right ?

Regards daz

• Posted

Thanks Daz for your reply. Yes it is definitely the job that is causing the anxiety. Everything else in my life is perfect and it is only the job that is making me unhappy.

Your right no job is worth the suffering and making myself me ill. I am going to start looking for a new job very soon once I work what I want to do. It is also doesn't help that my self esteem and confidence is low so I doubt myself and think that I am not good at anything.

I will be more positive now and start appreciating the good things that I have got in my life.

• Posted

Am Pretty much in the same boat with everyone else only difference is I was in denial for a long time. I didn't want to believe I am suffering from anxiety disorder until tonight when I read all your posts

Am on my 4th job now within a year and I feel terrible just thinking about my job. I was unemployed for about 3months before I got my new job. I am married and have a daughter. As you can imagine life was not very easy with just one income coming in. Now that I have a job I cannot put my family through that again. However I feel my health is detoriating ever since I start the job. It's only been 2 moths since I started and still on probation for another 4 months so even if I get a doctors note for time off work I will not be getting any sick pay.

Does any one know any government funds that can help if I was to take time off.

I really don't know where to begin with this, I feel so alone. I don't know how to tell my husband about this. Am afraid he won't look at me the same again

• Posted

I have suffered for the last 20 years, changing jobs, cars, where I live, looking to be as happy as everybody else, not knowing I suffered from anxiety. 6 years ago I went on meds and let the meds do the work and never addressed the issuses I had. Not completely my choice, as I was told not to try and work out why I felt this way ,as it would just delay recovery. I,m now going to counciling and addressing my problems. The meds allow us to function day to day but need to be followed up with therapy. 
    • Posted

Hello Nick,

You have just proved the point ,that medications DOnt do thw job.

What they do is in fact help relieve your symptoms,but they do not get down to the root cause of your problems which is like taking a tablet for your headache ,it relieves your headache but then you get another again another day .Your Counceller is doing it the right way ,and you are now addressing your issues ,good for your Counceller ,and good for you to,I wish you well,

Take Care

millyimp1322

• Posted

Thanks Nick for your reply. 20 years that is a long time to be suffering with anxiety. You must be a very strong person to fought through for so long.

I going to spend some time this weekend deciding if I will go down the med route but if it helps me function on a day to day basis then that is good thing in my book.

• Posted

Well it would comes in bouts, not to mention that I thought it was normal. My mother was bad with it when we were kids and it rubbed off I guess. Now my brother and I have it. If I were you I'd go the cbt therapy root soon as possible and then consider the meds after a month if need be. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.