Anxiety issues and not sure where to go....

Posted , 4 users are following.

For many years now I seem to suffer with anxiety and severe nervousness. It started in an interview where I was nervous but this can be normal. For some reason it seemed to spiral and when asked questions I couldnt get any words out.

From that point it would seem I get this way whether its an interview, meeting, talking amongst family/friends where the spotlight is on me.

I get a chill through me whether its a positive or negative situation. Maybe its control of adrenalin, I'm not sure.

I think its worse for work type things like an interview or a meeting. I think I immediately fear it. It can make me sweat etc...

It also happens in confrontational situations too. Arguments/disagreements etc...

I feel this holds me back in life and I need options to look at. I have tried medication and treatments but nothing has helped.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I may look at chinese herbal and hypnosis treatment.

thanks, Mike

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I think you should definitely try hypnosis or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT is free on the NHS if your GP refers you). They seem to be the most beneficial in the long run and are both very successful. As you don't seem to have full on panic attack, and medication often makes you a lot worse before it makes you better, hypnosis and CBT seem to be your best bet!

Amy

• Posted

Right Mike,

Yes go for it,didn't help me much but I'd had all of it before,not a new thing,just an old therapy wearing different clothes,but you may gain by it,good luck to you!

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi Mike, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy / Hypnotherapy can help you. But I will advice you to check your vitamin profile. Check Vit. B12, B9, B6, D, magnesium. If you are deficient in any one of them it can cause anxiety and nervousness. Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D deficiencies are most common.
  • Posted

many thanks to all of you that have replied so far. I will be looking into a local CBT therapist.

@patient97, I do eat healthy as I workout alot. I will certainly look at where to get more vitamin B12 and D

thanks guys!

• Posted

Have you tried Propranolol? Its a beta blocker designed to stop the release of adrenalin therefor stopping any other effect from taking place in the body. Its used to treat anxiety and the symptoms from anxiety.....keeps your heart at a steady rat allowing you to think clearer also.
  • Posted

I did try Propranolol but it didnt seem to help me. I think my problem is fearing the fear. Also the control of adrenalin too.

Psychological issue I think....

will check vitamin B12 and D levels too

• Posted

Hi Mike, just another word on Propranolol, and only because its worked so well for me, how much propranolol were you taking before? Because i was on 40mg x3 daily and have just been swapped onto the slow release 80mg up to twice daily as i was still getting small heart flutters and the initial panic attack shock awake just when i was nodding off, since changing to the slow release ( and i don't know if this is psychological or just the increased dose) I haven't had any signs of a panic attack, not one. So I'm just wondering if maybe you tried upping the dose? It may be worth another shot if you didn't.

Also I would recommend CBT aswel, it is very good like the others have said, it helps with the psychological effects of the panic attack, it helps you work through these and turn negative thoughts into positive ones.

I know a previous post said other medications can make you feel worse before you feel better, but have you considered an antidepressant? I currently take venlafaxine on top of my propranolol because my panic attacks started getting me really down and i just felt anxious all the time waiting for the next one to happen, but the venlafaxine stopped all that, I've been on it for just over a month now and i don't get any anxiousness, the thoughts that used to guarantee a panic attack are now more easily pushed aside and i was finally able to go back to work after having a month off.

I know its a big step but it may just benefit you, and yes they do take a few weeks to get fully in your system before you start seeing positive changes, and there are less evasive ones out there e.g I was first put on citalopram and it disagreed with me in the most horrible way but then i changed to venlafaxine and it settled straight in, hardly any side effects at all. There are tons of antidepressants out there and its just a case of finding the right one for you. Each medication isn't designed to work for everyone in the exact same way.

But if your more comfortable with herbal medication then i wish you the best of luck....I'd say more on the subject but I've not tried any herbal remedies.

Hope your feeling better soon

Danielle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.