Anxiety levels are too much

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I've been slowly reducing the amount of setraline I'm taking in the hope to try and come off it and for the past two weeks my anxiety has been too much. I had my first episode of irritable bowel syndrome which caused me to have a panic attack because i thought my appendix was going to burst or that i had diverticulitus. I have had exams at university as well but I wasn't stressed over them and im stuck wondering what has caused the initial trigger for my anxiety which has worsened since the IBS. Now only just about recovered from the IBS i have a swelling on my back which has again increased my anxiety and is having a detrimental effect on my relationship with my girlfriend and even though my mum is a nurse she doesn't understand anxiety and thinks i need to man up. The truth is i do but it's not that simple. does anyone else have increased anxiety levels from minor medical problems? or just increased anxiety spells out of the blue? I don't want to have to go back to having endless amounts of therapy but I don't see any other way 

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi i do understand how you feel i really do. I have anxiety levels from medical issues mainly diabetes and having undergone a spinal fusion major back surgery 10 weeks ago. 

Health can be a worry to anyone but to those who are susceptible to anxiety it feels bigger. You can't just man up, you can't help your feelings, you can just try things to alleviate it. I walk each day rain or shine it helps me as it releases endorphins and do little things that make you feel good. 

• Posted

Hi Laura,

My mum recently suffered from a very bad case of diverticulitus and my dad also had a heart attack and even though im 20 years old and very active i think my times up already and its only a matter of time before one of them happens to me. i haven't been to the gym in over two weeks due to IBS and i think this is having a negative effect. I'm definitely going to try and be more active once my back heals

• Posted

Hi,

thats such bad luck that your mum and dad have been poorly. 20 is a lovely age and even though i am 42 i try and live a healthier lifestyle. Going to the gym would be difficult for you right now with a bad back but walk as it strengthens the core muscles and being sedentary doesn't help back pain but small amounts of walking will help. Try not to think your numbers up. Take each day at a time and write any worries in a diary just to get them off your chest and do little things that you enjoy 

• Posted

Hi jhorner.

let me assure you that what you are convinced of is a lie.

You have maned up a lot more than the average man.

its men that feel its a sign of weakness to own up to our feelings and we dont need the likes of woman telling us we need to man up while they lack thier own inadequate human traits.

health issue are not just bigger they become overwhelming while we have Anxiety inside .

the smallest of a mold hill becomes a mountain we feel we cannot climb.

fear sets in and binds us and our hed starts to tell us this minor health isue is really major and could kill us.

This is the reality of living with anxiety.

You mom may of been a nurse but this certainly doesnt qualify her to have all the answers and to be right .

Be encouraged my friend as you are a unique and worthwile individual who is in touch with yourself on many levels and you are man enough to openly speak about your feelings, your fears and your illness which is a disability that challenges you every single day with multiple issues that need addressing.

We dont need to be told we are mad when we know different.

What we need to be more and more aware of is how the world is a selfish place and has become all about the " I and Me Me me " syndrome.

Anxiety is real and cannot be overlooked no matter what others out there say, it is like other illnesses and needs to be addressed.

And we are people of great courage and have a lot going for us to be challenged by this dibitiating and profoundly misunderstood illness.

Stick with those that know what they are talking about, find the right professionals for you and if you dont agree with what they are saying then tell them.

I do this all the time and without regret.

If its not something that gells with me then I walk away until I find the solutions to my problems and this can only come from those we trust to have insight into what we are really experiencing in our daily lives.

keep the faith my freind and be of courage and never afraid in your search for the answers to your life that can often take time to find.

I find with my anxiety levels I want everything to change instantly.

But reality is so much different to that.

It takes time and personal effort to find exactly what we are looking for .

Best Wishes mate

PJ

• Posted

Wow. PJ's answer has hit the nail very squarely on the head. I think it's disgraceful for any nurse to act that way about anxiety. It isn't about "manning up"! It's about learning to cope with anxiety and this is best done by speaking to your doctor. About the lump on your back? There are many things it could be. Again, best talking to your doctor. I wish you luck.
    • Posted

Sorry i think i may have been unclear in how she meant man up. she means it for the physical problems ive had, for my anxiety she has been nothing but supportive but she has seen me live a normal life for a few months now so I think she is used to the fact that I am well and can't understand why i tend to catashrophize the smallest of things

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.