Anxiety like a parasite

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy with all taken except part of an ovary, and have suffered with hypothyroidism for 20+ years. Because of this I missed all of the little signs of peri-menopause. So everything took me by surprise. At a guess I am around 10 months post. YIPPEE!

Looking back I do not recognise the raving lunatic I was for the best part of 9 months early last year. I think now the anxiety fuelled and fed my symptoms like a parasite draining me of who I was. Once I had finished being tested and probed being investigated for every horrible disease I thought I had and finally accepted it was hormones and menopause I realised I needed some help, I am not sure whether it made a difference but I was also dealing with the sudden passing of my beloved husband aged just 52 so maybe I was a bit more vulnerable. So I started seeing a counsellor, it didn’t rid of my symptoms but helped me cope better with them, so the anxiety gradually eased followed by the rest of the hideous hormone related mess.

The symptoms I remember are as follows as far as I can recall.

No appetite – Eat nothing for weeks on end, just sipped water and ice chips.

Weight loss- lost nearly 2 stone

Nausea- constant day & night

Belching- awful indigestion despite not eating

Insomnia- totally unable to fall or stay asleep got maybe 3 hours a night if lucky

Night sweats- OMG drenched need I say more

Heat Intolerance- This was weird I felt warm all the time normally cold because of my thyroid, couldn’t bear even a warm shower it had to be cold, the hair-dryer was an absolute no no.

Flushes- Lasted forever just finish one then start another, either with or without the sweats. No triggers only very sensitive to temperature to surroundings

Difficulty Swallowing/Eating- Like a lump stuck in throat even taking meds was hard because of gagging but was only actually sick a couple of times

Tiredness/Exhaustion- probably mainly due to lack of sleep

Emotional/Depressive- moods were down and very weepy. If I didn’t have such wonderful kids not sure I would bothered trying probably just ended it all ( hate to admit that now)

Confusion/difficulty focusing- very light headed and dazed feeling

IBS like symptoms- obsessed with keeping diary of BM

Palpitations- happened a lot

Chest tightness- very uncomfortable of course I had angina and heart disease, this was definitely anxiety

Pounding heart – I could feel my heart pounding in my chest and hear it in my ears

tremors/shakes- Shaking externally and internally. The external was like a constant shiver, internal was like an inner bouncing very hard to explain

restlessness- couldn’t relax or sit still

anxiety- WOW never been an anxious person but this was just awful I was googling every little symptom, this made every other symptom worse and lots of crossover symptoms of anxiety itself.

Panic Attacks- Again never had one before very scary, got so I was afraid to go out, talk to anyone or make or receive calls

tachycardia (100-140)- due to anxiety

headaches- terrible pounding

head zaps- would happen day and night like a shock in head

feeling something wrong- convinced I had something terminal, Feeling detached from reality

Dry mouth-couldn’t quench thirst no matter how much I drank.

I think the worst symptoms were around the time of M day then after each 3 month intervals things gradually improved. Just like a thunderstorm coming you hear it coming there is a frenzy then gradually it fades and settles like ripples in the water the further away you go the calmer it is.

Now I am me again in the words of Lewis Carroll “ I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then”.

Hope this helps someone.

6 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this will help anyone but I have noticed a few ladies having breast issues. This is the one thing I can honestly say I haven't had. A few years ago I found a lump which turned out to be a painful cyst, the consultant told me to take evening primrose oil since then I haven't had any problems. Maybe worth a try perhaps it's why at least I haven't had problems or maybe just coincidence.

• Posted

Thank you so much I needed all that.but the best part is when you said three month intervals.How lucky is you're friend is to have you.We need more people like you telling it how it really is for some of us.💐

• Posted

Penelope65426

That is no problem.  I had a torrid time like many fellow ladies on here, and just wanted all to know there is hope, and gets better if all but slowly. It is hard some days to deal with as not everybody is their magical text book symptoms but some are off the wall type symptoms all feeding off each other.  Anu reassurances anyone needs isn't a problem, one day you will be you again. Best of luck x

• Posted

Oh meant to say I think if my guess work is correct that symptoms were much more intense as building up to meno and just after say a 6 month window.  Maybe as this is supposition on my part someone who had periods could confrim it for the ladies still suffering.  Keep going everyone, the only way is up x
  • Posted

Okay so I am a week into experiment with the ultra sage and lavender oil capsules . So far nothing has changed with the flushing. I am sleeping through and only wake 3 times nightly now but find I can get back to sleep better now, so will continue with lavender for a few more weeks as I have a funeral coming up and want to okay with this. I will take the sage for another couple of weeks to be sure.
    • Posted

Good morning ladies

I have had to stop ultra sage it has bought back hot sweats and flushing. I think I am to far into post menopause now and it was reintroducing what my body was getting used to not having. Based on this it could possibly help some peri ladies certainly. worth a try .x

• Posted

Bumblebee58 what did you take to help you to post menopause? Did you have hot flashes and nevorness and such what did you do to get to post menopause? I just turned 60 I hadnt had a period for like 18 to 22 months in 2014 then in 2016 I had a flood of period add all test everything was fine now my last period was June 2016 coming up on another years no period and meno symptoms had hit me like a ton of bricks. Whgat did u do to get through this?
    • Posted

Hello crosado8.

I am so sorry you are having a bad time at the moment.  Yes I most certainly did have nervousness and hot flashes.  You must have been devastated to go all that time only to be right back at the start!  I took magnesium ( any but oxide) to help relax muscles, lavender oil capsules may help if your jitters aren't to severe.  The heat from the flushing and sweats literally drove me crazy nothing seemed to calm them for me.  I think if your symptoms are suddenly  more severe I read somewhere it means your hormone levels are really dropping off big time, which is usually around the actual menopause day and just after.  If you can bare a walk can help burn off some of anxiety, and dark chocolate may help low moods.  To be honest I didn't think I would make it everyday seemed to bring something new.  I would obsess about one symptom have tests then repeat it all again with the next symptom.  The biggest tool at my disposal was my mind.  Once I stopped fixating on everything and accepted I had nothing wrong I slowly took back control.  I started therapy and learnt CBT.  So when panic built up I would reason things out by literally caliming myself down and talking myself through.  I chanted alot ( its only anxiety its hormones its menopause)  I found also that writing it down in a journal helped I could obsess about how much longer was this  going on for etc.  I am not going to pretend that it was easy there were days I would have happily ended it all just to be free. But now I am 95% there  I can't believe that was me.  I really wish I could give you a better answer I guess really results are limited.  But take heart even though symptoms continue afterwards they are manageable they are certainly not like peri.  They are not fluctuating like before, they are settling and leveling very slowly.  So although you may have some symtoms they are not severe.  Not sure whether this will help you, happy to answer anything I can take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.