Anxiety loop - Lets break it together

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking medications for generalised anxiety disorder for over an year. Results have been zig zag and thus started therapy last week. 

Issues I face are anxiety physical symptoms such as lightheadedness, tingling in feet, dry mouth, burning eyes etc. which result in more anxiety.

I eat on time and drink plenty of fluids. I meditate and work out. Of late, I have started to maintain a regular sleep pattern. I also keep a journal of daily life. This has helped in preventing panic attacks to an extent.

At times, I feel really tired due to anxiety but the thing I remind myself is "I have done it before and if I could do it then I can do it now".

This poem from the movie Grey inspires me to forgot about what has happended in the past or what lies in the future but the present is in our hands. Keep taking your meds, continue your therapy, connect with your family & friends and most importantly be grateful.

"Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day".

Is there anyone fighting generalised anxiety disorder? Please share your story and the coping mechanism that works for you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi punk, I don't know about generalized anxiety, but I know about terrifing anxiety and panic attacks. Once I would have an attack, that would be it. I couldn't get out of it. I had one that lasted a year. I couldn't  eat, sleep, swallow,or focus. I was dizzy,and could swear things were moving. Just a mess. I was in a state of constant panic. This is no joke .I didn't want to go to the doctors cause I was scared I was going nuts, or that they would not beable to help me. When I finally went I was bawling and broke down. Well she calmed me down and said she was going to start me on meds. My god it was a miracle, started feeling better in 2 weeks. I have had to change meds a couple of times because after years of taking them, sometimes they lose their affectiveness. I am great today and will take meds for ever, which is fine with me. My coping skills, is find the right meds, and get on with life. Please don't fight it on your own, that's foolish. There are ton of medications for this  problem. YEAAAAA!

• Posted

I agree with Kimberly 100%. That is the best first step! When you get the worst of it under control, there are other things you can do to help even more. Check foods that trigger anxiety. I react wildly when I eat something on the no no list.

Get on anti anxiety meds; if don't work well , call doctor for change of meds until you get the one that works for you. Some people try a few before they hit the right one; I got lucky on the first one. Let us know how it goes. You came to the right place, luvwink

• Posted

You are all about the food and drink list. True for some but doesn't matter for others. Never made a difference for me. I say take meds, eat, drink, and be merry. Do what works for each individual. You happen to be food and drink senitive. 

• Posted

I agree that we are indeed all different. However, for those like me, this knowledge can be a litteral life saver. Many years ago, I was diagnosed with a fatal disease, and given a "death date." The medical community had given up on me, but I didn't give up on me. In the search for life, I met a woman who was a nurse, Shakley representative, nutritionist and pastor of a church. She took me into her home, the deal being that I would eat only what I was told, prepared how I was told, and to not take one bite of anything else. The food I was to eat was plentiful and delicious. I was there for 6 months, went home and followed the eating directions, (with a few cheats nowwink) and in a few more months was absolutely clear, and obviously, alive.

The hospital that diagnosed the condition sent a letter once a year for a few years, basically asking if i was still alive. I did finally respond in person and was told I was considered a miracle. That is why you are absolutely correct! I am not all about food for anxiety, but feel it is urgent to consider and check out. Thanks for your response and for caring so much for all of us here. This forum is lucky to have you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.