Anxiety making my arms and legs feel shaky and weak?

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past month and half my arms and legs have been shaky and weak. Not visibly shaking but it feels like I'm shaky on the inside. I've been to the doctor a number of times and got blood work taken with everything normal. I have had pretty bad health anxiety in the past that has gotten better but it's showing its ugly face again. Has anyone with chronic anxiety ever have this persisting symptom?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have been getting the same thing for a year now. It's like an internal shaking feeling and I start feeling all jittery. I also have really bad health anxiety along with gerd, gastritis, and hypokalemia. So I thought part of the shakiness was related to stomach acid from the anxiety.
    • Posted

I have the internal shakes, as well as Gerd. May I ask , what is hypokalemia? 
    • Posted

I have to take a supplement 3 times a day for it and they can't find any other reason for it besides my severe panic disorder.
  • Posted

Yes I do! Thats usually when I know an attack is going to happen. I do most of the time try to ward through them. But it can last up to 4 hours. Shaky. I feel jittery like I had a lot of caffiene. I have tried to avoid caffeine all together which helps me not get this way too often. But mine is an inside feeling of jitterness and sometimes my hands will shake. My doctor said its part of anxiety. And at times I can feel this to the point I get numb and tingling and foggy in my head. 
    • Posted

Do the symptoms ever stop? Mine have been constant. 24/7. Sometimes when I'm distracted I don't really notice them. But for the most part it is always with me. Today is bad. I feel disconnected from my brain. Almost like I'm gonna collapse. My legs and wobbly. Just really scaring me. I don't know how this could all be anxiety.
    • Posted

Mine hasn't gotten that severe as mine will stop normally within a half a day. When I had my bad attack it did last a week, but would come and go. Have you asked your doctor about trying an anxiety med? I hear they help calm some of the jitterness. I have thought about going and seeing for myself. But haven't yet.
    • Posted

I am on lexapro and just increased my dose to 20mg a few days ago so I haven't seen a difference yet. The hardest part for me is accepting that this is anxiety and not some life threatening illness or neuro disease. It's quite terrifying.
    • Posted

would the lexapro be something that is giving you the shakes 24/7? It does say may cause dizziness. Maybe they could look into something else to have you try. My Husbands grandfather was getting severe vertigo when they upped his blood pressure meds and when he stopped taking them he got better. 
    • Posted

I don't think so. I've been on the meds for a few years and have felt the weakness and shakes the whole time. I don't know. It's just really scary and I can't ever get my mind off it.
  • Posted

YES! I also have chronic anxiety and health anxiety. Almost daily I feel shaky and weak, as you have described. I often feel like my limbs are jello and that my legs will go out. It is not a physical symptom for me, as in I am not physically shaky or moving. It is all internal and is a very real symptom of my anxiety. It is a horrible feeling, but I have had this issue for years and have been just fine. It only goes away when my anxiety is low, so I have been working on that (medication, therapy, etc). Hope this helps! 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. It does help to know I'm not alone. Just very hard for me to wrap my head around it and face that this is really my anxiety and not something deadly. That's my biggest fear. That I will have a deadly disease. My anxiety has been at bay for awhile but now it's back again and causing a lot of problems.
    • Posted

That's my biggest fear as well. I make every small symptom into something it's not, like cancer, tumor, or heartattack. It's a constant battle for me every single day. I recently started going to a therapist (put it off for a year) and it has been the only thing to help so far.
  • Posted

Nicole you my never see this, as its been 2 yrs since you posted this, but i found this thread because i have these symptoms and im really scared. Your post is like i could've wrote it myself. Im just curious as to what ever came of all of this for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.