Anxiety Medication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on Mirtazapine for just over a year now. It does help with sleeping, but I'm finding my anxiety is creeping back especially in the morning. I only take 7.5 mg, anybody else feel that it dosnt help anxiety.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Adele,

That's a pretty low dose for anxiety and is more for helping with sleep at that dosage. It didn't really help with my anxiety also and I felt it was worse sometimes and pretty much only helped me with sleep.

• Posted

I was started on 15mg and thought I was getting better so GP reduced my dose to 7.50, but feeling bad again, the only positive is I am sleeping ok. I always feel well in the evening and think that I'm getting better, but when I wake up in the morning the anxiety  hits me again.

• Posted

I am up to 30mg and it does very little for my anxiety. It is great for sleep and ok for depression. I think the typical startup dose is 15mg so you my want to discuss this with your Dr.
  • Posted

I wish someone would be able to help with that question.  I have been battling with this for a couple of years and can only seem to tolerate 7.5mg, this week psych asked me to increase dosage to 7.5 one at night, one if i wake up in night and another if anxious in day.  He says it is a good drug for anxiety but i need a higher dose.  I am looking for anyone elses experiences on this as i have tried for the last five days and have a really dizzy head and nausea on wwking.  What is it with this drug?  I am either feeling ill on it or depressed without it.
    • Posted

I really don't want to up my dose again as I am scared of horrible withdrawal symptoms when I try to come off them. I also think if I took them during the daytime I could not drive or function at work. I just feel Drs put u on these meds and leave u to sink or swim as they don't know if they are suitable to the drug & dose prescribed. That's why I find this forum helpful as u can discuss with people who actually understand what it's all about.

• Posted

I agree with all you say, i hope tou can get off these as i would like to.  I dont think increasing the dose is the answer, but im not the expert.  Even he hasnt fixed me yet.  You are so right drs put you on these and leave you to get on with it. They should see you every week in start ups to discuss bad effects but they know about them and dont want to be involved.  They see you once a quarter if you're lucky and then just tinker with drugs.  Wish id never asked for referral.

• Posted

Hi Adele, my hunch is you need to up the dose, If you struggle to talerate it then perhaps try another anti depressant, one that is good for anxiety and depression.

Youll get there. 

Neil 

• Posted

Hi Aspinsn, thanks for ur reply, my gut feeling is I want to be drug free so really don't want to up dose anymore & don't want to experience horrible withdrawal symptoms either.

• Posted

Hi Adele:  I'm sorry you are suffering.  I'm also sorry to type that I have been on Mirt for 20+ years at various doses from 45 mgs to 7.5 mgs and it has never helped with my anxiety.  There are other meds for anxiety that you can take but you stated you wanted to be drug free so I really don't have a good answer for you.  Good luck.

• Posted

I have been on mirtaz 3 years nearly.  Cant abide larger doses so down on 7.5, helps sleep a bit but bad dreams.  Like you doesnt help anxiety. Have to use small doses of diazepam. Hoping to try to get off it, down to 1 or 2mg day, 5mg at night. Do you have any helpful hints on how you deal with anxiety and can you say why you dropped dosage of mirtaz?
    • Posted

Hi ann:  I'm weaning off Mirt after 20 years because I don't think it is working.  Doc gave me low dose doxepin for sleep and that has helped with my insomnia.  I take 1 mg. xanax, 50 mgs doxepin and 15 mgs. (down from 30) MIRT about 20 minutes before I go to bed.  Now I'm getting 7 hours of sleep but mosf of that is drugged sleep.  I'm not happy about any of this and would like to get off all of these meds but my body won't let me -- have to wean extremely slowly. I'm prone to panic attacks, generalized anxiety, depression, as well as stress-induced IBS.  So the xanax stays at 3 1/2 mgs broken into 1/2s throughout the day but Mirt is on it's way out -- dropping to 7.5 this coming week.  I'd like to get down to just one med -- Cymbalta which claims to help all my psyche & sleep problems so I'm working toward that end.  Mirt goes, then I'll start trying to wean off xanax again (last time it took me a year), then the doxepin.  I wish I had some useful tips for you but right now the drop in Mirt from 30 to 15 is throwing side effects at me (all of them I think).  What I'm going thru now is crying jags for no reason and seeing things out of the corner of my eyes that are not there.  Nasty business.  Hope you can get your anxiety under control.

• Posted

Hi Adele.I've been on Mirt for about 8 months now starting at 15mg at night going up to 30mg(15am 15pm) and Gabapetin from 200mg up to 600mg while being weaned off of Paxil(which I had taken for 20 years).It was for IBS/anxiety/depression and also was put on Tramadol 50mg twice a day for associated back pain.It has been a real pain trying to stabilize over that time.It could very be to low a dose but as always be careful with any meds .esp. if they upthe dosage.You know docs they love to give meds for everything instead of trying to find the root cause.Good luck and God Bless You,Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.