Anxiety meds. Thoughts? Opinions?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 28 years old and have been dealing with anxiety all of my life I'm pretty sure. The reason why I was blissfully unaware of this is because it went under the radar for so long, the most symptoms I would get would be shaking episodes. A few months ago, I began experiencing panic attacks. Since going to a therapist, my panic attacks are a lot less frequent..but they still do occur. I have underlying anxiety and feel super anxious most of the time and I worry about basically everything..especially anything health related. along with this I have been dealing with (what I believe is) acid reflux and digestion issues. I get chronic migraines as well. I have been told by multiple people who are experienced with this sort of thing, more so than me, that I should see a psychiatrist and get on medication.

Now this would normally be an easy task for any "normal" person but I am so unbelievably terrified of medications. I went on an anti-depressant for my migraines and it made my anxiety WORSE. Chest pains, palpitations, the works. Since my anxiety is mainly health related...I get very nervous about putting medication into my body. I have been told it really could help me come back to the person I once was, before this took over my life, but I am afraid of the side effects and what if they don't even help me?

I wanted some advice or opinions about if the anxiety medications really do work, and if I should just give them a shot since it could drastically change my way of life. I realize every person is different but hearing other people's experiences helps me!

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Today is my first day taking buspar n zoloft. I'll update u in a week how I'm feeling.

• Posted

I've taken Prozac and Wellbutrin. In all honesty there are some side effects but for me most of my anxiety is derived from ptsd-related incidents.

That being said I've noticed a drastic difference well on the medications. This is also been coupled with weekly therapy. The result has been that I am much more able to deal with the anxiety and the feeling of almost an impending doom.

My wife and my children have also noticed a huge difference in my personality. In a good way though. So in my experience the medications worked however I have known people with either anxiety or depression where they had to try multiple medications and doses in order to get it right. It is a process but if you follow through with the process it works.

I hope that helps.

• Posted

Saraanne

Hello 

We are all different when it comes to medications for Anxiety and depression, we need to be brave and allow them to work. It is no use looking for problems attached to side affects, we on occasions may need to accept our bodies may take time to accept and get used to these sensations. Most of your problems are caused by inflated fears and sensitised  body sensations

You need to understand many of your problems are in the mind and you are looking for health problems, You need to move away from these problems and undestand most people are not that concerned daily with health matters and will look for an easy less complicated illness in the first place. that is why they visit their Chemist for information before the Doctor. for general common disorders. 

When Anxiety sufferers say they are Hypochrondriacts, this is a badge that should not be used it reinforces your fears and gives an imaginary problem more leverage, this of course is not true, you are making a listener consider your Anxiety as always serious and life threatening. When of course this is the case, you need to move on

• Posted

Saraanne8,

I've taken Zoloft (125mg) for two years now, after some really bad panic attacks. Even while taking the medication, I had an anxiety 'episode' or attack, that lasted several months. During that time, I continued to take medication. I also had xanax to take in case I got panic attacks that went over the top. There were always times I considered taking the xanax, but the idea of something changing my mind so quickly always made me even more anxious. So I decided that I would take it, and trust it, if the time ever came where I needed to get out of a bad attack. Luckily, that time never came, as after a few months the anxiety subsided to nill. I continued taking the zoloft for the past two years, and though I still get panic attacks and anxiety once in a while, it's much weaker and more manageable than before. Most of the time, I'm my normal self, and I can go on trips by myself and go to new places, just like I wished I could when I had bad anxiety. I have not had side-effects, but others say they lose their sex drive. You can find reviews of different medications online from people who take them. One of the most important aspects of anxiety and panic attacks is trust. Long term anxiety is like getting the flu for a long stretch of time. It's miserable, but you trust the people around to do what's best, and you take medication to help you feel better over time. Trust in others, and your psychiatrist. Bring up concerns with them, and never do anything med-related without consulting them first. You have to trust that they will do what's best for you. It's difficult starting long term medication for the first time. I cried when I first got perscribed and realized that this was part of my life now. But now I have a great relationship with it, it is there for me when I need it. I can only advise you to do what you think is best, even if that means doing what scares you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.