ANXIETY mimics Bipolar?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the last 3 weeks my husband and I have been really on edge lately. I will admit mainly because of me. I have been short tempered and on edge. I have had a lot of anxiety over the last 3 weeks. However last night when I laid down to go to sleep I had a panic attack that all together lasted about an hour and half before I finally went to sleep. I woke up this morning and felt really good. Not hyper or "euphoric" I guess so to speak. I just felt like my vision was a lot sharper, however, I felt really nervous and have now been worrying all day, Is this sudden shift how bipolar works? My GP mentioned bipolar to me a while back but then came back and said it was not bipolar it was just that I have a very Atypical type of anxiety. She prescribed me lexapro, but I am scared to take it because I know IFF I were to be bipolar the lexapro would make it worse. Should I trust the fact that I am not bipolar and take the Lexapro or try to fight off my symptoms naturally for a while and see how I feel over time?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety is part of bipolar, but bipolar in itself is very different from bipolar, it sounds like anxiety you have experienced, not at all like bipolar. The effects you mention sound like the adrenaline rush which comes with anxiety and panic attacks, bipolar is a very different and debilitating illness
    • Posted

Thank you. It just makes me wonder. I guess that is more anxiety in me. Anxiety causing anxiety. My GP said I am now having the "bipolar" symptoms because that is my fear. My anxiety is trying to make me think something is not there and I am giving into it. This is just an awful disease regardless!

• Posted

That's very true, with health anxiety it's easier to fixate on something, then start to present with those symptoms we're scared of. Unfortunately it's very common

• Posted

Hello

Same here..i am afraid of Bipolar..

But last year i was on lexapro and nothing wrong happen..i was for 9 months

If i was BP Would something happen in the 9 months or could make the BP after?

• Posted

I would say you are good. "They" say within a couple of months. GOOD FOR YOU FOR TRYING!!! I cannot bring myself to try. It gives me more anxiety for trying to get rid of anxiety!

• Posted

Are 9 mounts enough to stai calm?

Now i am on Lexapro again and is the same fear..of BP..i tink i am gooing crazy sad

• Posted

I really don't know. I have never taken either of them because of my fears. I wish I could tell  you. Let me know how it works out for you. Lexapro is what I have a prescription for, but have not tried it yet.. I think I am going to start it Friday. Because I am off work the weekends. 

• Posted

First time on Lexapro was good experience

Now after a mounth i see good result..only vivid dreams and insomnia..and wake up early mornings

I will wait after 8 weeks to see the result

But my fear of BP is still there sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.