Anxiety & muscle twitching randomly

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! 

Last month I suffered from pain in my right calf. I used to go to the gym and one day after, my calf started to be painful. Went to the doctor as my first thought was a blood clot. He was sure that it wasn't a blood cloth and it was a muscle injury. After a week/ 2 weeks after I went to a physio so my other calf started to ache. She also was sure it wasn't a blood clot and told me it was coming from my lower back. After a week I decided to wear heels and the pain got worse this is when my anxiety came all the way UP!. My anxiety tells me I have something serious and I'm always overthinking. Last Sunday I had a horrible pain in one leg and ended up in hospital. They did an X-ray and a professor visited me and he told me, muscles strains. Lately Iv'e been experiencing muscle twitches very random not all the time lasts few seconds and goes away. It started from the calves when I searched on google it gave me serious conditions.. I started to worry and my anxiety went straight up, not eating, no sleep, no concentration at all. After this I started to feel my twitches randomly like in my legs, back, upper lip, and tingling feeling in my left hand. 

Can you tell me if you had this type of experience please? Im really scared like I cannot even sleep.. Thanks

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had something similar to this and after a lot of research thought it might be fibromyalgia which can affect about one out of twenty people and can be treated with cortisone. Worth a try. Rhodri .
  • Posted

Hi

Sounds like me! I am about a year into feeling like this 

Nothing has been found that’s anything to worry about.  Have sore calf now and twitching! 

Twitching moves to thumb yet neurologist not least concerned.  Bfs has been the diagnosis although levothyroxine which I take for thyroid might not help either 

Anxiety seems to fuel the twitching and discomfort! Crazy cycle to be in but gets easier! 

• Posted

I have had a thorough physical examination by a consultant neurologist followed by a head and neck MRI scan. I am being booked in to a hospital for a nerve conduction studies after which I will get the feedback as to what has been the problem over the last few years The trouble is that the symptoms come and go but they are always worse in the mornings. I have come across people who know of others who have fibromyalgia and although chronic are successfully treated with cortisone. All the best Rhodri. ps The scan was clean I am happy to say.
    • Posted

Cool!

I do have thyroid issues and things got worse Prior to a blood test that showed I need increased dosage. 

Let me know how you get on! 

• Posted

Hi, are you anxious because of your symptoms? If you are anxious in general, and especially if your resting heart rate is elevated, then you might want to have your thyroid levels checked. Hyperthyroidism can lead to symptoms including tremor, muscle twitching, and muscle pain.
    • Posted

Hi! Thanks all for your answers! I am extremely anxious right now, I might have health anxiety... First when I had pain in calf I was anxious that I had a blood cloth. After a month or so, I never experienced any twitching.. last week I started to feel my calves twitching not every time very random like 3 hours apart a get 5 short twitches in the calves. I thought that the muscles are tensed because I am tensed. Now that I googled muscle twitches and I found out that there are serious conditions I am starting to feel the twitches more like in my hands, shoulders, calves, eyes, lips, and also last night I was unable to sleep as my whole body started to twitch and wasn't able to sleep as I was very anxious and was overthinking that I definitely have something. I also tend to feel the twitches when I'm sitting / relaxed. And I also experiencing burning pain and tingling in my hands (alternate).... I'm seriously loosing it, my physiotherapist told me that I should not worry but I still worry and I had made an app with a neurologist to set my mind.

• Posted

I think that you should see your doctor as soon as you can as you cannot go on with the symptoms you describe . Best of luck. Rhodri.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.