Anxiety, Nausea & Recovery Length

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. :-) My anxiety causes nausea and lack of appetite, which can lead to other problems (dizziness, fatigue, weight loss, etc). These symptoms can last days, weeks, sometimes more, even if I no longer feel anxious. I’ve tired to combat this with yoga, meditation, healthy diet etc and am currently undergoing cognitive therapy. I have also been diagnosed with IBS (endoscopies and scans were clear) which doesn’t help. Is this situation familiar to others, and, if so, can you recommend any remedies or solutions that could decrease the length and severity of the recovery period as it can be rather draining. I try my best to stay confident, and not dwell, but nausea can make it difficult to function and has a negative effect on both my working and social life. I want to control it; not it control me. Many thanks for listening.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Wayne I was exactly the same as you also used to get chest pain ect iv been put on tablets now and they seem to be really helping still get some of the symptoms of anxiety but I'm not as bad as I was and not had a panic attack since Monday which is good, I lost my appetite aswell and it's starting to come back now
    • Posted

Hi. What tablets are you on, and did you get continued anxiety, or just one day of anxiety followed by lots of nausea?
    • Posted

I'm on sertraline 50mg and propranolol 80mg I had continued anxiety and my heart used to beat out my chest all time it's getting better now but still get pain in my chest and back,
    • Posted

I use propranolol, but only on stressful days. Did you take this medication daily, and do you think it made a difference?
    • Posted

Yeah I tske it twice a day and yeah it's calmed my heart right down as I went to hospital 4 times with a rapid heart beat
  • Posted

Hi smile

Just want you to know you are not alone.

I am currently going through the same thing. I have lost my appetite and just cry all the time. I am anxious and stressed, have low self esteem which has all developed into depression. I cant concentrate on my tasks at work, and when my friends want to do something i nearly always say no, because i feel i wont be good company and also because i dont want to dump my stuff on them, in addition i want to think more when i am with them and i get a little agitated when my thoughts are being interupted. I live by myself and i don live in my home country and so when i go home i start over thinking, even irrational and intrusive thoughts.

My doctor has prescribed me with prozac and told me to force myself to go out even if it is hard. It is a viscious circle. Not eating properly leads to vitamin and mineral deficiency which can help magnify it. I went for a long walk yesterday and felt a bit better afterwards. But i was feeling bad this morning again. I have a bit of a guilt complex and i think of the bad things i ever did. I know i cannot change the past.

I would go to the doctor and ask for a blood test on vitamin/mineral deficiency, especially iron. low iron can lead to diziness and fatigue as can vitamin deficiency. 

I have been through something similar before, so i know it is beatable. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like cognitive therapy might be useful. I received some good advice that said it's much more likely to go away if you just learn to accept it and don't let it control your life, meaning going out and living your normal life even though you don't feel your best.
    • Posted

Anxiety affected my appetite but now I am medication and I have no appetite at all.

• Posted

Hi I can recognize this symptoms.I have anxiety for many years but worse for the last few months.I lost weight too.I start CBT but doesn't help much.I am too worried about my health and now I am on medication .Hope will help.Nausea and appetite are my main problem too
  • Posted

Wanting to control it is a good place to start. Have you had your thyroid checked? It could be yours is overactive and a simple blood test will tell. As for how long the recovery period will be - how long is a piece of string.  It's not possible to say..could take several months could take longer. The thing is you have to keep telling yourself it will get better. How is the Cognitive Therapy going. Believe me it's never easy coping with something like this but it can be done you just have to believe it.
    • Posted

Yes, I've had all manner of blood tests, as well as scans and endoscopies, but they found nothing. It's so unusual, I don't believe I'm anxious (although I can't say for sure) yet I'm still feeling this horrible nausea, since Monday now, and this is despite all my efforts to contain it, such as yoga, meditiation, peppermint tea, healthy diet, positive attitude, etc. Has this happened to you?
    • Posted

No two people have the same experiences but let's say I have had similar experiences. There ws a time when I couldn't get out and then when I eventually did. I panicked in the supermarket and left my trolley in an aisle and literally ran home and locked myself in. But all that is a long time ago and I am fine now. I'm in a good place and I intend to stay here. It wasn't easy to get here. It took  a long time for the doctors to find the right mediction for me but when they did the change in me was amazing. So keep up with the therapy and if at the end of it you don't feel any better go to the doctors again. It's up to you to be as honest as you can be and it's up to the doctor, based on the facts presented to them, to come up with a medicine or therapy to help you. As I said before - it will get better you just have to believe it and takes steps to get the help you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.