Anxiety on Mirtazapine...Any Experiences ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have ben sufferring from depression and anxiety on and off for 2 years now. I recently was on Seroxat (Paxil) for 3 weeks til my GP took me off it due to lack of sleep and bad thoughts in the morning. I am now on Mirtazapine 15 mg (taken at night) which definitely makes me sleep but i tend to wake at 5am feeling anxious ....Hence taking a low dose ttranquiliser (Lorazepam) to counter this. It also definitely makes you hungry and I agree particularly in the evening. I also tend to feel a bit weird and spaced out particularly around lunchtime and seem to have dry eyes . Anyone else encountered this ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been told by my psychiatrist that mirtazapine is not really effective for anxiety, more for depression, sleeplessness and lack of appetite. I had terrible anxiety and have been on sertraline [zoloft in us] since april it has helped me enormously with my anxiety which was caused by another prescribed drug [reglan]. May be you could give sertraline a try, i also never got any side effects either. :wink:
  • Posted

I have been on mirtazapine for years I take 45 mg. at bedtime also clonazapam2mg. and trazadone 200mg. I havn't had the hungry horrors like a lot of people I know and have read about.Initally I gained 10 lbs. I doubt that your feeling \"weird\" is related to the drug.Maybe there is another word you could find to be more specific.Maybe your doctor could increase the tranquilizer to take to keep you from waking up early in the am.Trazadone,

I believe the brand name is serazone is also good for sleep. Good luck.

Wildflower.

• Posted

Do you ever answer your mail?
  • Posted

Thanks for all your responses. I have been told to persevere with the Mirtazapine and have now switched to taking the tranquiliser as soon as I get up rather than waiting until I get panicky about 10am before taking it.

Guess I will just have to sit it out.

The feeling weird I described was feeling \"spacey\" or detached when walking round the supermarket and also not being totally physically coordinated when walking...bumping into people etc

Regards

• Posted

I think I understand the 'spacey feeling' you describe. I seem to experience it at around lunchtime and it is quite unsettling, but I have also been taking Citalopram in the mornings in additon to the Mirtazapine at night, so who knows.

A psychiatrist friend has advised to stick to Mirtazapine only, up to 30 mg at night, and to use diazepan for anxious moments in the day, however the idea of diazepan scares me. Any personal experiences? It is so good to know you guys are out there, and I feel less alone in this. Regards, Lilith :wink:

• Posted

I seemed to get spacey around lunchtime although I take Mirtazapine at night. I am taking Lorazepam which must be similar to diazepam (same group of drugs I guess) and although not happy about it, I find I ned it to calm me down in the mornings......I try not to take it but sucuumb eventually...only 1 mg.

My doctor says i have bigger worries than this so I am carying on taking it for time being. Maybe u could ask for something else similar which is not so addictive...probably is not anything....

• Posted

just quit all drugs, n everything will go away... after all thats what started it
  • Posted

\"If we could quit all drugs and lead a normal life :!: don't you think that we would\". Some of us have been helped enormously from these depressents and life effects everyone in different ways. Some people can handle it and others go on a downward slope. If you have ever had proper depression and i don't just mean the ups and downs of daily life you would maybe have a different opinion. :?:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.