Anxiety or als?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my name is Brittany I'm about to turn 27 in June I started having a tingle sensation in my fingers a couple of days ago so I looked it up and als came up and I immediately got terrified and looked into it and than after that I started to have spams all over and twitching all over along with leg and arm weakness . My hands also don't feel the same my fingers feel stiff and don't seem to work the same I can still pick stuff up and hold my 4 month old with no problem . Also my tongue swells all the time and I feel like my speech is a little off and I mean I have very small twitching all over my legs , arms , feet , hands and my butt. I also have very bad anxiety I'm always looking something up and panic about it I'm hoping that is all that is happing now and not als

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You cannot self diagnose these conditions. Its best to go to the doctor and find out whats going on. Twitching could involve skin conditions? 
    • Posted

I noticed today its worse when I'm waking up my fingers and does are very tingley and my arms are weak. Thank you for your input

• Posted

Twitching is probably neurological condition and if you feel weak then its best to go to doctor/ER soon.
  • Posted

Hi if I was you I would go to your doctor and get this checked out ...I don't want to scare you but it could be gbs guillian Barrie syndrome this virus attacks the central nervous system....I may be wrong but that's how my symptoms started

• Posted

What is gbs? I have some new symptoms of feeling like food is getting stuck in my throat and my voice is starting to sound horse and what I have read is that it could be bulbar als in my throat very scary
  • Posted

Hi Brittany, 

I am kind of in the same shape you are in. I have hemisensory (right half of my body feels numb), feeling like my right hand and leg are weaker than my non dominate side, twitching in my muscles. I did a google search on my symptoms and they came up with ALS right away, but you also have to know how uncommon this disease is, in the United States there is about 15-18 cases found a day. Which means that 1 out of 100,000 people are diagnosed with this. This is usually found in people 40 to 60 years old and more often in white males. They also say if you are diagnosed with ALS to seek a second opinon because there are so many things that mimic ALS symptoms. This will hopefully ease you a little bit, but even with 0.00001% chance there is always a chance. You will never find your answer online or from forums. You must seek medical attention because they will be able to physically examine you and make proper recommendations for you.

I am currently meeting with doctors so far I went through MRI on my brain and spine. They have found a impinged nerve in my spine... I am now going to meet with a orthopedic doctor on Monday to see if we can fix that. We are not sure if this is the cause of my problems, but we are going to start there. If that is not the issue than I would have to go and do a EMG and check all my nerves. 

I have really bad anxiety and tend to go straight to the worst thing. I have read all the symptoms and that tends to make me focus on those things. My fingers, arm, and leg are feeling really tired/weak, but I have been over using them more to prove to myself that it can't be that. When I go to the gym I push my right side harder than my left just to tell my mind everything is fine.

I have now just said I will see doctors until I find out what is wrong with me or until I feel satisfied that it isn't what I think it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.