Anxiety or MS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys! Can someone please help me? im so worried I might have MS. When I was 17 I was so stressed out with school and was having trouble breathing. The doctor told me I had anxiety. In college I would start getting a tingling pinky on and off that was usually on one side at a time. Somedays itd get bad id need ice. Usually it got better asleep. The tingling pinky (sometimes ring finger also) would occur on and off for about 3 years but never really go away for too long. At around 20 I started getting weird tingling feelings in my foot on and off. Usually one foot at a time. Then around 2 years later it became foot vibrations too. I tried going to a neurologist but they didnt think it was MS. I didnt take an MRI though. Fast forward Im 26 and stilll have this!!! Except sometimes I may get foot vibrations in one foot and tingling in the other or pinky tingling also. Also sometimes when im stressed I can get vibrations in other spots. This makes me so nervous I am always searching my symptoms online and stressing over this. I keep imagining myself in a wheelchair that I have MS. Somedays I am okay but then I remember about my illness and thats when I may feel a foot vibration. Also when I need the restroom and I hold it in my feet feel tingly. Does anyone else have these symptoms? I am scared and my mom doesnt believe me and just says i have anxiety. im scared oneday ill wake up and not be able to walk.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sounds like anxiety. dont worry about getting ms. its pretty rare. i was diagnosed 3 years ago and i have only had 1 episode in 3 years. i can walk fine and i have never needed a wheelchair

• Posted

Thank you its just scary because my grandma died from it at 57 and she was diagnosed in her 30s. Glad you are doing well with your case!

• Posted

take care of yourself. if it is really bothering you try seeing another neruologist for a second opinion. are you seeing anyone for your anxiety and getting some treatment. Ms is so different for everyone. not one person on my dads side or moms side has ever had Ms. keep us posted and take care

• Posted

hi, I am 68 and I was diagnosed with MS 12 years ago. Looking at my medical history I can trace possible symptoms relating to MS forty years back. I have a long way to go before I need a wheelchair. MS is difficult to diagnose. If you have a pattern of neurological symptoms over several years and you have optic neuritis these MAY indicate MS. The symptoms may occur in different sites but an indication is that the same symptoms are repeated with various frequency in the same site. A worsening of symptoms can be rapid or take a long period of time. The physician , if MS if suspected, would send you for an MRI and lumbar puncture as well as other tests.

You sound anxious and you say your family think your anxiety is a major concern. Knowing you have MS will not make that anxiety go away. MS cannot as yet be cured. With MS the symptoms are different for every patient. The symptoms if severe enough and they impede activities are addressed. My advice would be to seek support for the anxiety and the tingling. Try not to think about MS and treat your symptoms. Thats all I can do, really.

Good luck

• Posted

thank you Richard. ive kinda accepted the fact that I probably have it but its scary not knowing. and im scared to get that lumbar test!! maybe ill try to get an MRI

• Posted

your reply was spot on. i had years of symptoms but optic neuritis was what did it for me. ended in the hospital was diagnosed with a stroke then ot wasnt a stroke it turned out to be Ms. after MRi of brain and spine and lumbar puncture they found Ms bands in my spinal fluid. hope you are doing well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.