Anxiety or Peri/Meno???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Lovlies,

I started having symptoms about 4 months ago of peri. I was having the racing heart, burning feet, inside tremors/tingling, weird head feelings, slight dizziness, off balance, really close together cycles with heavy bleeding and a host of other symptoms. I would get them in spurts.

These symptoms started me having bad anxiety. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I followed up with my GP and was given meds for blood pressure, and anemia which was all they could see was wrong. I've had numerous tests and scans and they all come back great which I am happy about. But the symptoms still come and go.

I've never had anxiety issues but I do now. I have been trying to keep my stress level down and keep as calm as possible but the anxiety is uncontrollable at times which seem to make the symptoms even more pronounce. After reading up on anxiety, a lot of anxiety symtpoms mimic those of peri also and I believe that is why when I tell my GP how I'm feeling, he says its just anxiety.

I'm just wondering if it's really just anxiety that I have, or is this coming from peri? Would like to hear some of you ladies thoughts on this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamie, we have several posts throughout the Menopause site that answer all your questions. Look it through it and you will be rest assured it's peripause. Best of luck. Pat
  • Posted

hi.  they just SAY anxiety because they generally don't know the actual feelings that women have during this time.  It is actually very 'difficult to manage anxiety', quite alien, and for those who had the usual mild or for want of a better word 'normal' anxiety feelings throughout their lives, this peri brings on the most overwhelming horrible out of control feelings.  It is hormonal and I found that along with the numerous other health issues that start, the hormonal anxiety gets out of control.

The only thing I can say is that this passes,  you are four months into this (I assume without hrt) and I found that even vitamins did not help me.  

I decided to stop ALL supplements and took no prescription drugs and over time most of the awful symptoms faded.  I still have recurring ones, but nothing like during the first 5/6 months or so.  I am now at month 8 and firmly believe now that hormones are balancing, symptoms could return, I don't know for sure,  but for the moment they have improved.

For me, nothing worked, (not that I gave it much time, if no results within a day or two, stopped) and I feel better for battling it out.  My own opinion is that women take stuff to make them feel better but possibly it is adding problems as the body is adjusting to changing sensitive hormones.  Just my opinion.  If you can battle it out I think you should see some improvement, like me, at month 8.  Maybe I am wrong, but would love to hear from anyone else who has gone through this difficult part of it practically alone meaning with no pills etc.

It's a very tough part of our lives,  I sympathise as I have been through this.  rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am not a pill person and only take what I have to for my health. I am trying to battle this out as much as I can. The symptoms seem to come and go. I just take it day by day. Some days are manageable and some days are just down rite scary. Everytime I think I have one thing under control I get a new symptom that sets the anxiety off. I'm frightened of things that never bothered me before and I hate to be alone for fear of something happening to me. I'm nervous at work half the time for being nervous and scared. What keeps me hanging on is I tell myself that I am ok and it will go away.
    • Posted

please do tell us your full story, met, monthwise

there are many here who are new to forum

would love to hear

• Posted

Good morning welcome to the world of menopause we have all experienced the same thing things I need for me gets very intense and sometimes unbearable hang in there stay with us on this we all share our experiences good luck to you
    • Posted

I'm certainly going to continue to share as this is therapy for me to have you ladies that listen and understand. My aunt told me to research peri and I found this site. It has been a big help to me. I truly appreciate all of the ladies sharing their experiences and suggestions.
  • Posted

Hi Jamie I had bad anxiety at the beginning of peri I could not work for 4 months I started to take hrt which has helped I all so went to counselling she helped me a lot gave me some breathing exercises to do and all so right down when I started to feel anxious and how long it lasted I used to my breathing and tell my self I will be OK I was not in any danger .

Take care

Paula

• Posted

Hi Paula,

It's been hard working for me. Either I come in and go home or I do not come in at all. I try to keep myself as calm as possible by slowing down my breathing and tell myself that it will go away and I am ok. I just hold onto the hope of knowing that it will go away. I am not on any HRT or pills just been trying to deal with it. My aunt told me to get a low dose BC and I said I would think about it. I am not big on pills and don't need any side effects to add to the problems I already have and my GP prescribed Ativan which I also am not sure I want to be bothered with. So I just talk myself through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.