Anxiety or side effects?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been prescribed 10mg citalopram for anxiety. The anxiety started as stress about my health and other challenges in life and has developed into a full blown all day anxiety. It's absolutely terrifying.

I am on day 5 of the medicine and not sure if

the anxiety has gotten worse or if it is side effects. I feel extremely nervous, shaky, unable to relax. This lasts pretty much the whole day, tends to ease off in the evening and then starts again as I wake up. Mornings are absolutely horrendous, I wake up feeling sick and my arms feel like they are burning.

Is my anxiety getting worse or is this the pills? Is there hope I will ever feel back to myself again?!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety gets worse before it gets better when taking citalopram. My dose was increased two weeks ago and I experienced heighten anxiety again, now starting to settle down. xx

• Posted

Thank you, that is reassuring. Right now I feel like I will never be myself again. All day long I'm consumed with this anxiety, it feels relentless. I'd give anything to just be normal again, life is pretty tough sometimes.

• Posted

if it gets real bad ask your doctor for a benzo.that will calm your nervous system

• Posted

i had a really bad night last night, got two hours of sleep and since then kept waking up feeling extremely nervous and that horrible burning sensation in my arms. Is this just side effects or am i losing my mind?! Help please

• Posted

read your leaflet it states it all in their.and yes its a side effect.

• Posted

hi we seem to be in a similar situation.

im on day 11 10mg and have had diarrohea this morning and generally feel as you described. had a good day yestetday so felt i was getting there but not today.

Citalopram has helped me in the passed tho so hope its worth getting through this bit

i only started taking mine again after stimach psins that docs still dont know what is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.