Anxiety over Bronchitis Diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been crying this entire day and although I was told this was Acute i just hate being sick. I hate it so much.

So on Monday i begin having cold symptoms. Which for the most part it was pretty mild symptoms. Congestion, sore throat, cough, discolored mucus. On Thursday I thought i was getting better, but then i developed this hacking cough. Last night into this morning it was so bad because I was coughing so hard i thought i was going to vomit. So i went to the Emergency Room(i live in the US btw), as im waiting i realized my coughing wasn't as bad as the night, but it was still there and still bothersome. My chest was also starting to hurt.

In the ER, they swabbed for Covid, Flu and RSV negative for all. Did chest xray and EKG, normal results. Then did blood work. The doctor said my blood work was pretty pristine. Also no pneumonia.

You would think i would be happy of all this good news, but im not because i was dx with acute bronchitis. Im distraught because it hurts to cough, and i get a headache. My muscles just feel sore from the coughing. Im taking Robitussin, drinking as much fluid as i could, eating soup.

i just feel like a loser because if i had taken all these precautions when i first got sick i wouldnt have developed this.

I guess i just want to vent and if anyone can tell me your experience with Bronchitis? My anxiety is through the roof and Im crying so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

people cannot predict when they are going to get sick most of the time. Many people get bronchitis every year and I know how annoying it can feel with the coughing and everything. But keep in mind that everything is temporary. We all have setbacks whether it’s an illness, job loss, bad relationships, and on, and on these are all a part of life. but they are temporary.

All we can do is take the steps necessary to come out of it. follow your doctors orders and just take one day at a time. Eventually it will go away and you will be fine.

try to look at the bright side. Be grateful that it wasn’t pneumonia or something worse. take care.

• Edited

Okay, I 've read your comment. I'm a retired medical professional from the U.S. and I'll try and provide you with some commentary relief.

Initially, it's important to make certain that you're taking the correct form of Robitussin. If your lungs are clear and the cough was more of a dry-hacking variant, then you're aim is to seek a suppressant cough medicine to allow the bronchi and associated muscle complex to heal. In other words, Robitussin 12-hour relief would fall within these parameters. A cough expectorant is intended to thin mucus secretions that can be more effortlessly coughed up in order to help clear the lungs. Expectorants are typically used in instances of heavy congestion. Robitussin DM would constitute a variant that possesses an expectorant and suppressant. So in your own instance, if you're not congested, then a suppressant alone would best suffice, whereas if congestion is present then both an expectorant and suppressant is favored.

Otherwise, you're proceeding properly in remaining well-hydrated with plenty of clear fluids and a diet that contains ample clear liquids. Recovery should proceed uneventfully and in 3-5 days you should be further toward normality once again. Just a reminder, however, that if your symptoms return you should seek prompt evaluation through your primary physician or local urgent care center/ER if symptoms become serious. While this is unlikely to be the case, it's important to always err on the side of safety since upper respiratory conditions can at times become a challenge when they exist within the particular time of year where COVID-19, flu, RSV and pneumonia are most prevalent.

Acute Bronchitis typically arises amidst a mild cold or other respiratory infection. Once the bronchi become irritated they can establish a rather harsh cough that if persistent can cause subsequent muscle fatigue and pain. Headaches of the tension variety are also not uncommon. Bronchitis of an acute variety is nothing to become overly concerned about and does occur with frequency. It can very naturally exacerbate the milder symptoms of the common cold. There is no need to worry about long-term consequences. Again, you'll begin to feel much better in the next 3-5 days and while the bronchial symptoms may wane for several days to a week or so beyond that time-frame, it's important to realize that the bronchi are quite inflamed and raw. The muscle complex associated with coughing can also take time to fully heal as well, so don't become discouraged if symptoms linger just a bit longer than expected. You'll be fine.

Lastly, just a reminder that while the internet can be an excellent resource for discussing your symptoms with others who are experiencing similar circumstances in order to obtain reassurance, the internet is an extremely poor conduit for medical advice regardless of its source. This is particularly true when you are suffering any type of illness, disorder or disease. So again, if your symptoms do not continue to slowly abate and head in a positive direction, always consult your primary care physician or urgent care center/ER if you experience any worsening of your condition or new symptoms arise.

Best regards

• Posted

Thank you for your explanations and your logic to bring some calm to my mind and anxiety. I did have congestion around the nasal area, but not anymore. So far all my other symptoms are almost 100% cleared up, besides the cough. I've been taking the Robitussin Cough and Chest Congestion DM. My cough is more sporatic than constant, compared to yesterday and the day before. For example this morning I woke up and did not feel the need to cough or use the cough medicine until a few hours of being awake. Whereas the morning before, I had an instant coughing fit as I woke up. Ill take that as a sign as slight improvement, but it still is worrysome. Mostly because I am thinking about the aftermath. How to heal my lungs and chest muscles? Will they continue to be sore? Will my insides be scarred for all the hacking? Also i am still coughing up yellowish mucus and white/off white mucus, its a mix. Is that normal? The ER doctor didnt seemed too concerned.

• Posted

In response to your worries, your bronchi and muscle complex will heal just fine all of its own accord. You will continue to improve. You will encounter no scarring as a consequence. Expectorating mucus is common and the result of the body's own ability combined with the use of the Robitussin.

Emergency physicians are quite accustomed to addressing real emergencies that are many time life-threatening in nature. If the physician in your instance appeared unmoved my your symptoms and condition, then it's a clear sign for you to be relieved. They are all too familiar with conditions that require an aggressive approach and concern. The absence of such a disposition in your instance is a good indication, not a poor one.

You're letting your fears run away with you. You're going to be just fine. Again, if for any reason you sense changes for the worse, which is highly doubtful, simply return to your physician for re-evaluation. It's as simple as that. Stop worrying.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.