Anxiety over rabies.

Posted , 4 users are following.

On Saturday night the 21st I was walking my dog around the neighborhood when he spotted a really weird acting squirrel. The squirrel was walking around in circles and looked VERY weak, as if it sprained a leg. I decided that I'd take my dog upstairs to the house and go myself to help the squirrel not even considering the possibility of rabies, cause I've never heard of a case of squirrels being dangerous. I used a small towel and scooped up the squirrel to bring it into the house to see if we could at all help it. The squirrel did NOT bite me, the closest thing to a "scratch" was their struggling where I felt the nails push against my skin, but other than that no blood nothing. I checked online and it's very rare for squirrels to carry the disease of rabies.. But.. what freaks me out so much is the way it was acting. Again, it didn't bite so... I'm trying to calm myself down reminding myself that. If I could get some reassurance or maybe your opinion on whether or not 'm acting like a complete idiot with anxiety or if I really should check it out?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh! I forgot to mention after struggling I picked it up 2 or 3 more times before I finally gave up and let them be. 
  • Posted

I would suggest before approaching any wild animal, bird  or unknown domestic pet to contact RSPCA in the first instance and to wear gloves before touching.
  • Posted

How have you been feeling?  What happened to the squirrel?  Do you dry any answers?
  • Posted

If the animals didnt bite you there is no problem, but even if they did it is completely fixable,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.