Anxiety over wedding

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I've been suffering from anxiety for about a year and a half now. We booked our wedding almost 2 years ago when I wasn't suffering from anxiety, now the wedding is in 3 weeks and my anxiety is so bad. Im just so nervous with the fact everyone will be looking at me. Im dreading walking down the aisle because of it! I know most brides feel nervous but I've honestly felt like this for about a year whenever I think about the wedding. Anyone got any advice? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations! Weddings are nerve racking and I have known others who have felt like you do then on the day with so much going on they forgot about their fears. When I got married I don't recall even seeing the people in the church let alone the fact they were all watching me and I am a shy person so that is one of my nightmare scenarios, it was all a bit of a whirlwind.

Try incorporating some relaxation techniques into your day between now and then, deep breathing, yoga maybe, listen to relaxation app on your phone when you are feeling tense or stressed. Also fit in some exercise when you can as this will burn off any excess energy that had built up.

Drink camomile tea throughout the day as this has calming ingredients in it and cut out any stimulants such as caffeinated drinks, sugary foods or processed food.

All simple things which will help make a difference. You will still have the jitters on the day but hopefully you will be able to manage them if you try some of my suggestions.

Just remember you are marrying the person you love who wants to take care of you and who I'm sure would want you to feel comfortable, happy and relaxed. Have you spoken to them about how you are feeling?

• Posted

Thank you Lucy! Thanks for all your tips I'll definitely try them. I used to be a very outgoing show off type of person but after I had my son slowly that went away and just before his 1st birthday I started getting awful anxiety. Hes now almost 3 and although I'm getting slightly better and now also in therapy the wedding is such a big step for me. Usually when I'm this nervous for something it ends up completely fine. My other half knows how nervous I am but he is the type of person that will just feel the nerves on the day haha. I just have big fears of not being able to walk down the aisle incase I have a panic attack!!

• Posted

The fear is what affects us, we worry about the 'what ifs' and that festers in our minds which are great for playing tricks on us. Maybe tell yourself several times a day that you are really looking forward to your wedding and maybe you can start to override the fear, got to be worth a go x

• Posted

Thanks lucy I'll try all your tips! It's just so disheartening when I used to look forward to everything in life and now I'm just filled with dread over things I should be excited for sad

• Posted

I know, I do feel your pain but I've learnt to tell myself that I can do things and sometimes the results are surprising and other times I'm disappointed in myself but I just try and push on and I would say you need to try and do the same. Tell yourself your wedding is going to be wonderful because it will be, and that you are going to enjoy spending a day with all your family and friends who will be there to support you and show you love.

It's easy to say things will be OK but I have a feeling on this occasion they will be, just keep reminding yourself it's OK. X

• Posted

Thank you Lucy for your uplifting words. I am the same 99% of the time everything is fine. But it's that worry that I'm just going to panic when I have to walk down the aisle as that's the part that's getting to me most. Hopefully you are right tho smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.