Anxiety/panic...

Posted , 5 users are following.

My jaw is feels sore and tense/stiff. Sometimes I get a lump feeling in my throat also. I've suffered from anxiety for about a year now after going through a lot of stress last year. I'm waiting to get into a therapist, and I do not take any meds. I've tried some, but trying to cope without them. Does anyone else get these weird jaw/facial sensations? It drives me crazy. And what makes it worse is my job is a trigger Bc I sit all day and sometimes I don't have enough work to keep me busy. I don't socialize much, just work and go home to care for my kids. Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think its sore because you are tense and probably gritting and grinding your teeth.

Others on this forum will have mumbo  jumbo reasons!!

Stay Stronglol

• Posted

does it feel your choking Lynn. What is maybe happening is that once that starts it will trigger a panick attack.i had somet like it 3 year ago
  • Posted

I have tmj too. See a dentist. Its really common. Its from anxiety but its very common sadly. They can make you a soft mought splinf to help if you tend to have bruxism. I recently went back to mins (maxillary surgeon) to complain my of issues with my jaw, and other weird related symptoms and to my surprise she told me she too has this. Look uo tmj, tmjd and the forums alike. Youll see what you noted. You can get numbness, tingling, tinnitus headaches, neck pain..all related to your jaw. The irony here is many many if this issues occurs in your sleep when the bruxism has free reign.
    • Posted

Thanks lisalisa67. It's only on one side. Can it still be TMJ? Sometimes chewing gum helps. But once I spit the gum out, I can feel it again.
  • Posted

Are you clinching your jaws any when you have anxiety. I have TMJ and it causes my jaws to hurt and gives me headaches,neck aches and sometimes my shoulders will ache.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.