Anxiety/Panic addiction and drugs anyone been here?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all. I'm Lee. 29. I am currently having a panic attack. The feeling of it being a heart attack or stroke is scary. The tense pains in my arms. Mimic shooting pains. Very hard to believe they are not real. The chest tightening. Tingles. Flushes. Shaking. Palpatations. Arm pains. I am stuck in a rut. I have liked taking my drugs over the years, I'll be honest. Recreational drug use. Weed, pills, speed, coke. I did these with friends. One day I was Hungover with a headache and took 30/500mg co codamol for first time. They made me feel great. I started taking them for false reasons and soon became addicted. I kicked my addiction, but now have been using anything from gabapentin to caffine pills (a big no no) to substitute not having codeine. So my attack in short, I have not helped myself. I deserve the attack. But I just cannot hack being sober. I got so used to a buzz off codeine that I had to have a substance in my system. I am trying to change thi. I have thrown out all pills and want to embrace being sober. I am going on caffine free drinks and emptying mt system. Has anyone else been in my boat? Would appreciate ANY Aadvice.

Thank you x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I've been there, done that (as they say). When I stopped taking all drugs I became extremely anxious. This is partly withdrawal symptoms but also the difficulty of addiction is not so much giving up the drug but learning to live without it. It will take a while to accustom yourself to living a real life without being cushioned by drugs. You are lucky, many people dont get to this point. Some die, some live with their addiction for the rest of their (ususally miserable) life. You have stopped. A big well done to you and by the way you do not deserve to suffer for it. Nobody does. But one of the things you will need to do is learn to love yourself and forgive yourself. The usual applies, eat healthily and exercise. Meditation helps and you may consider going along to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting for support from people who know. Also visit your doctor for some supportive counselling and possibly some meds. Be honest with them. The crappy feelings will pass but dont try to be a hero and stick it out by yourself. Get all the help you can. Good luck. Going sober will be difficult but well worth it for a new life, addiction free. Also give yourself a big pat on the back for what you have achieved so far. You may have a relapse, thats pretty normal, but dont give up.
  • Posted

Hi Lee,  your gong cold turkey kidda and Panicking becouse the reality of facing up to life is bad....   Ride it out and indulge in some other guilty pleasure that doesn't chemically affect you.   Don't drop everything at once cos that could shatter you more take it one step at a time and realise that everybody is afflicted

its very difficult to get counselling on nhs and will take a while but join a few forums to do with your core issues and deal with them slow.  It took you years to get in this mess and it's healthy to take same time to get out of it.

one step at a time kidda, small bites of the apple and you will be reet!  But don't dwell on what you have done just try to untangle the mesh you have slowly wired yourself into.   The world make look Rosie by being totally clean but if your body is physically paining then slowly decrease your chemicals otherwise you will easily loose it.

i know your pain kidda but changing your whole lifestyle in 5 mins will cause you damage.  You have been a bit of a bad boy for a reason and to tbh it will never leave you becouse, some of the best time of your life of been of your face,  but remember it was a slow process that got you here, it's a slow process to get rid and you will still need highs in life......... Take your time but make sure you get councilling to deal with they're underlying issues. And please remember nobody is normal and everybody needs there poison.  Take it slow kid that's all I'm saying

• Posted

Just wanted to wish you all the very best and congratulate you for taking such a brave and positive step. The guys have given you good advice.
  • Posted

Buddy

The best advice is to acknowledge what you have written. You have succeeded in posting something that is more than a plea for help. It is without doubt a brave, courageous, and completely open confession.

You are not obliged to go into such graphic detail, but the fact you did, and highlighted your own mistakes, speak volumes about you. Underneath all the layers of rubbish that has attached itself to you in your life, there is a young man with a genuine sense of self, a very great degree of humility, and an open heart.

Why do I say this? Because those are just some of the essential qualities that are required to write in the way you have. Every word chosen reveals something about a person. The way it is presented, the natural or artificial style, these are all clues to the real person inside.

The lovely people who have already written to you with such kind words and gestures of moral support couldn't care less about your mistakes or how you may appear. But they do care very much about you, because I'm sure they see as I do, there is a really brilliant person inside there, with a good heart and a great personality.

All of us want to support you and help you Lee. I support all the advice you have been given by the other respondents. You have 'come clean' on here. Please trust me, if you were to talk to a health professional like a Nurse, a Pharmacist, or your own GP with the same self-deprecating passion you have done here, you will find nothing but understanding and a willingness to help. I think you may need support of that kind.

It is admirable what you are attempting to do alone. However, it is not necessary. With some oversight and guidance, you can be shown and/or medicated in such a way that allows your body and your brain to make that long journey from depending on certain chemicals, to a realisation it doesn't need them to function.

Don't be cruel to yourself and punish your body and mind by suffering the effects of sudden withdrawal. Not only is it painful for you, but it is unwise from a medical perspective.

All of us admire your post. Take the next step Lee and talk to someone that has the knowledge and training to really help you in a practical way.

We will be thinking of you buddy.  :-)

• Posted

Quitting drugs is very hard, I understand you as I've had my own issues with addiction. Addiction is like anxiety in a sense; it takes time to work through until you know how to control it and keep it in balance. I know for me, both my anxiety and drug addiction are not in balance, but I am working on it, and I know that until I get used to life without drugs and life with panic attacks, I will be uncomfortable. It's normal, and it is unfortunate, but we will get through it. Don't give up, keep working at it. Caffeine (as you probably know) is very bad for anxiety and panic attacks. You should avoid it entirely because it can cause these sorts of things to be more likely to happen; it's just best to keep it out of your system. Take care, and know that there are people out there who understand, such as I for example. My private messages are open so if you wish to, you can message me sometime. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.