anxiety panic SSRIs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well I'm 6weeks on sertraline for pnd and anxiety and I feel insane. I think its a panic attack my thoughts race and build up and up then I panic and loose all control and feel I need to run! After my chest hurts and I feel very confused. Its awful!!! I'm so scared I'll never be normal again. They upped my dose to 75mg but I'm dreading this as the attacks are worse then ever so I'm worried the meds are making it worse. I feel insane and dizzy and like I'm turning crazy

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi rachel, I know what you are talking about. It started with me about 8 years ago - i suffered a panic / anxiety attack and i didnt know what that was - so I thought I went crazy too. I couldnt sleep, couldnt eat, started having obsessive thoughts, horrible stuff. I was seeing a psychiatrits and psychologist, I am still on Citalompram and Quatiapine. I thought I had it under control, I was never feeling 100% but at least 90% and I could function and work normally. About a week ago, my granny died and the horrible anxiety started again, without any signs of going away. I was trembling, sweating, my stomach was just a knot. Moreover, my thoughts were rasing in my brain, I started to regret everything I have ever done wrong in my live. Now, as a short term relieve they gave me some diazepam, which cannot be taken for longer then 4 weeks. It helps, but I dont know what I am going to do after. I seeing hypnotherapist as well, while waiting for NHS psychiatrist. It feels horrible, I question myself, regret everythig, I have got this theory that I have inherited something in my genes. The bottom line is - build yourself a vivid image of your good mental healh - every negative thought (e.g. i am going crazy) has to be balanced by nurturing a good (oposite thought - e.g. I am healthy and strong). Dont dwell on bad thoughts, always build a positive / oposite thought in your brain and dwell on the good one. I have got lots of underlying issues (not just anxiety). Keep strong. Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you. Its good when people understand not that I'd wish this on anymore. I look back now on earlier today and its like it was a dream or something then I think I much be loosing the plot. I hate been alone if I'm alone this happens ! If I know I need to iron or change a nappy I panic its so stupid and iv no idea why !!!!!! I was normal till I had my baby. Always been a bit anxious but not a state of panic like this. Thank you for your help x
  • Posted

Rachel, this is exactly what I was thinking when it happend the first time - like a film, or bad dream. I am worried about many things, I am 31 now. It also happend when I was on my own. I was so bad that I couldnt sleep alone and had to sleep holding somebodies hand. I dont know what will work for you, for me was working to be occupied all the time, be with people, do house work, and keep yourself strong by imagining good things. dont let bad thoughts take over your mind. easier said than done. I was functioning like this for about 8 years and now I am in a mess again. Remember: its not going to be easy, but whatever life throws at you - carry it and never give up.
  • Posted

I feel the same way. How long will it go on for>

Try to go out and do things.

Maybe the Sertraline is not the correct medication for you.

I take Propanolol, Citalopram and valium. It is a crippling thing to live with as you never know when it is going to happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.