Anxiety & Panic surging after antibiotics!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently had my first attack of diverticulitis, a colon infection, and took two strong antibiotics for 10 days. 3 days later, back to the doc with side and flank pain and on another antibiotic for 5 days. I have been feeling like I did before I ever got on my antidepressant...constant anxiety, panic, depression and even borderline agoraphobia.

I have read a couple of articles that say antibiotics can make antidepressants not be effective so I'm thinking that's what is happening to me.

Anyone else experience this?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes. What were the antibiotics? quinolones  cause issues for many people. Most will wear off in a months time. Use a probiotic and drink a lot of water. Also anything that effects the stomach will effect your moods. Its the secind brain and the bellys job is to absorb. Nutrients and such.
  • Posted

I am hearing you.. I think it could be a mixture of being poorly with a couple of things at once and the antibiotics.

It happened to me in septemberv16 

One thing after the other then 2 lots of antibiotics and wham anxiety bad xx

Good luck i tried coping skills , breathing etc etc 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.