Anxiety/phobia of suffocation or allergic reaction

Posted , 3 users are following.

Not really sure what answers I'm expecting. There's nothing anyone can say. I know what I'm panicking about is irrational. But I have a physical reaction all the same.

I have a panic attack when I eat, when I go out, when I come in, when I sit down, when I'm busy, when I'm bored.

My throat muscles tighten and i can't breath. I get numb pins and needles in my face, chest, teeth, tongue and fingers.

I have an intense phobia of having an allergic reaction, or my throat or my tongue swelling up so I suffocate and die. Never happened before. I'm not allergic to anything. Completely irrational.

I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has something similar and what coping mechanisms you used to get through it..

I function fine on a daily basis. I go to work. I go out with friends. But when I'm alone, or sometimes at a random time it strikes. And honestly I feel like an idiot. Its all I can do to not scream like a child for an ambulance 'just in case this is the ONE time'.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How about trying hypnotherapy to see figure this out.ask for the hypnotist to record it to figure out how and when this began. Very interesting for you to learn this. You ever choke or see someone else choke? Was the umbilical cord wrapped around your neck at birth? This fear came from somewhere. Maybe you were too young to rememeber or know but it became a fear from some experience. Might not be as irrational as you think in the end.
    • Posted

I did choke when I was a child on a piece of toffee. Which triggered a several months of refusing to eat or drink and panic attacks.

My confusion is I got better for years. Now it's back randomly. When I say irrational I mean I know I'm not dying or having an allergic reaction. What I don't understand is the trigger.. The attacks happen so frequently now I can't figure out the trigger. But eating is certainly one of them.

• Posted

Omg if I had a dollar for every single time I thought if i should call an ambulance I would be a millionaire lol. Are you on meds? I find quick fixed are journaling, coloring, reading or even using lavender scents. Lavender is known to calm. They make anti anxiety oil. Do you see a counselor or anything?
    • Posted

I used to be on meds (diazapan, prozac, sertraline, beta blockers) however I came off. They didn't help me understand why this is happening. I felt like they just reinforced something was wrong and acted like a security blanket. Maybe even a placebo.. They did help though. So I have considered going back on in a controlled Manor while i sort this mess out.

I use lavender a lot smile In the bath and on my pillow. I also find menthol a relaxing smell. Like how some people enjoy mints. Makes things feel fresher and easier to breath.

I have had both cbt and talk therapy. Im in the process of getting back to see someone. But it's a slow slow process. Unless I want to pay private. Which I can't really afford.

• Posted

hey how are you doing?

im having the same thing right now. im only able to eat one thing the past year , cant touch anything, do anything like sports or something in fear of having an allergic reaction or just suffocating in general. im really at my limit and i dont know for how much longer i can do this. i lost so much weight and also just my entire life before that started

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.