Anxiety physical symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been suffering from panic attacks for about 8 months now but after an attack for weeks afterwards I have horrible physical symptoms, these include

pins and needles ( even in my eyes)

indigestion, like my food doesn't go down properly and is stuck

chest pains

numbness

heavy arms

then when I get an attack it happens so suddenly and for no apparent reason, my heart is racing so fast like it's pumping out of my chest, I get aggitated and have to walk around unable to stay still, feeling like I am miles away from everyone else, becoming very hot etc etc.  I can't help feeling that there is something physically wrong with me causing all of these symptoms but then I get a good spell when I feel 'normal' and think it must be anxiety but when it hits me again I just can't believe that it is panic.  This is driving me mad and I can't think of anything else, I am think about it constantly and how I feel, asking myself if I'm okay and do have any symptoms etc, I wake up every day feeling sick and nervous about it.  Please tell me other people feel like this too!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

These are all symptoms of anxiety. There are many of us suffering this problem. I would suggest you to see a docter, get yourself checked for any problems and after that docter will tell you everything about anxiety. You can also read others experiences on this portal on health anxiet . Knowing that you are not alone surely helps a lot. Also you will come to know various things that may help you to fight this anxiety. Few of them are diverting your mind to other things, CBT, deep breathing etc. 
  • Posted

You're not alone. I have most of your symptoms and also hot and cold sensations and muscle pain etc. ....I've had a nerve test and muscle test (emg I think it's called ) and blood work. All results normal. Now I'm going for MRI for head,  neck and spine just to make sure everything is good. Everyone tells me it's health anxiety. It truly sucks! 
  • Posted

Hi charlotte. I have certainly had all your symptoms including thinking there is something wring with me and not being able to believe it is just anxiety. However, I have had myself checked out left, right and centre and there is nothing wrong with me. IT IS anxiety. Hard to beliieve, I know, because it is very convincing, but it is definately anxiety. This is actually good news because it means there is nothing wrong with you and anxiety is treatable. Reading any book by Dr. Claire Weekes (twice nominated for a Nobel Prize for her work in this field) explains it all in detail and how to get out of it. When you are in an anxiety state DO NOT BELIEVE what your anxious mind is telling you. It is wrong. Keep busy and your mind occupied. Get an authoritative book and understand what is happening to you. There is a way out of it. Many, many people feel exactly the way you do (latest figures from NHS suggest up to 1.7 million people are suffering this way!) so you are definately not alone. You need to know that anxiety cannot harm you (even though it feels that way), you are not going mad, it is not an illness and you will not die. It is your own defence mechanisms being over-active and pumping adrenaline into your system which causes many differerent and disturbing physical sensations which then frighten you which then releases more adrenaline which keeps it all going. This is all that is happening. I know it's a horrible and uncomfortable feeling but it will not harm you in any way. You will be ok and with the right information you can get yourself out of it. There is no instant fix and it takes practice but you can do it. Good luck and a big hug. 
  • Posted

I get the food stuck in the chest constantly...its horrible and scary...I feel your pain!
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. The other think that I forgot to mention is wind, from both ends which I have never suffered with before, is this also common ?

I've been to my gp a couple of times they have examined me and I've had cardiac tests when I ended up in a&e from thinking I was having a heart attack which they put down to panic. This week during an attack I drove straight to my go as I wanted them to see me like it but they wouldn't see me without an appt. Over the phone consultation later that day Dr left me a prescription for diazipam to take during an attack only. I have taken one today as I felt like I was about to have an attack, it has helped and my body does feel less up right. But I know I will wake up feeling the same tomorrow. Feel for everyone suffering like this. It's a horrible thing to have.

• Posted

Less up tight thankfully not less upright that wouldn't be good ! 
  • Posted

The last paragraph I'm the same, so but I've never ever been to the doctors! 

If there's any techniques you find out please let me know!

But everything you mentioned is anxiety, it's a pain in the bum. Because you have the tablets, youll slightly feel more comfortable and hopefully more relaxed smile

X

• Posted

Hi, I  feeling exactly the same too and have been for a few months now. It is very hard to believe that the physical symptoms are due to panic even when I am not having a panic attack. 

However, it sounds mad but today when I was feeling calm I purposely hyperventilated and straight away I felt all the physical symptoms that I feel when I am having a panic attack so now I'm a little more convinced that the symptoms really are to do with panic attacks and they're not serious. It's a bit of a relief at the moment but will see how it goes when another panic attack appears, they just come out of nowhere and last for hours at the moment. I've called for an ambulance twice in the past 2 weeks because I genuinely believed i was having a heart attack, my chest felt so tight. But my chest felt exactly the same when I hyperventilated. I also find lying down on the floor, stretching out, using my arms as a head test and breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth very effective. It takes a while but sometimes my panic attacks last 5-10 minutes instead of 1-2 hours. I've also started playing music during panic attacks to try and take my mind off it while it passes. It's not easy, it's very distressing but we can at least try to make ourselves as comfortable as possible right? 

Diazepam are wonderful for helping during a panic attack. My friend took them but  they pregnant so gave her remaining 4 to me and I felt they really helped. Unfortunately all my Dr is prescribing me are SSRI's which make me feel worse and have horrible side effects. 

Hope you get sorted soon, xxx

• Posted

We sound very similar which is really comforting smile I would ask ur Dr for diazepam. I was adamant I didn't want to take anti depressants, at least with the diazepam is only as and when not every day. Although after taking one yesterday and feeling so relaxed last night I have woken up this morning back to feeling tense and would quite fancy taking one now ! Obviously I will not take one again though until I really need to, I have been laying in bed just as you describe trying to relax myself before I get up for work. Good luck xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.