Anxiety & prescription medicine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on diazepam for nearly 40 years now. I'm also prescribed Codiene Phosphate. In addition to this I buy OTC codeine to add to my Codiene Phosphate. I've had a social anxiety all my life. I feel that it is now catching up with my health. I can't function in the mornings without my medication. I rarely awake feeling refreshed no matter how long I sleep. Ideally I could stop work & I'd have no Social Anxiety issues. It only affects me when I'm in a group of people. Getting desperate now as I'm feeling tired & unwell. Starting to have bowel issues but Dr seems to feel when I retire I'll be OK, which is another 5 years.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How come they have given you valium for so long as my doctor won't even me any at all

• Posted

It's not a large dose, just 4mgs per day. I've cut down from 8mgs a day. The drs know I'm addicted but perhaps think as the dose is so small, it can be cured but unfortunately it would be just replacing drug x with drug y. I'm happy taking it & have asked for it for many years. I've managed to work & hold down a good job & raise a family while on this medication. Health wise it's not a concern bar the addiction?

• Posted

I have been to the doctors today and has be prescribed niteproxin he have said it will have taken the edge off me as my arms keep tenseing up also on duloxitene every morning
  • Posted

Why are you taking Codiene Phosphate and does your GP know about the additional OTC Codiene. Both of these drugs are of the same family of medications and would seem you are risking your Health etc taking the two together.

Your GP can also presribe two different pain medications that belong to different groups and they can be safer than what you are doing above.

These days many of the pain killers have better over than above and your health may be better allowing your GP the chance to script you for better cover. You must be terribly constipated. and compacted

Your sleep will also be effected  as will be your tummy, your tummy lining will also be burnt by the drug and your stomache lining may be effected over the long term

• Posted

Codeine helping me to reduce the diazepam. So now addicted to both. Ideally would like a period away from work to stabilise my medication as need these to get by at work. You're spot on re the constipation & sleep. Feel terrible every morning & very constipated. You sound like you know your medicine. What would you reccomend? I'm gettingn quite desparate tbh.

• Posted

The two drugs are not related

Codiene is a Pain Killer OTC

Codiene Phosphate is a pain killer.

The other is an AD.

I take Citalopram.  And Amytryptalene for Nerve Damage (Nuro)

Pain medication Tramadol, VTENS Machine

Celebrex Cox 2 

• Posted

I told the Dr maybe a year ago re OTC Codeine so he prescribed Codiene Phosphate as its safer. I cut down on OTC purchases but Im always running short of prescription drugs so supplement them with those I can buy OTC. Find it difficilt to last 28 days on my prescribed Meds. Can't see Dr every month due to work so survive extra days with those bought OTC. Started taking Codeine as Dr's keep telling me to cut down on Diazepam. If it wasn't for the nagging would only be taking Diazepam but now hooked on two drugs.

• Posted

Talk to the GP about your addition.

The codiene medications can cause some real problems over an extended period, if you are compacted you will need a clear out, there are medications that can clear the bowel  and a camera can be used to see if all ok

With your tummy it may be an idea to get that looked at as well.

• Posted

There are also better ADs than above and you may have a positive about turn when you move to something new.

Some of the Opiates or Synthetic Opiates can give safer cover, Tramadol is the main one I take.that could help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.