Anxiety relapse??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with really bad health anxiety and had cognitive behaviour therapy last year which ended in December. Since then things have been ok and I've been feeling pretty normal. However the last few days I've started with nausea, tired all the time, feeling odd and not with it. I am pretty stressed and struggling to sleep properly. Just wondering if anyone had had a relapse after feeling better. Can it happen 6 months after feeling like you've had a break through. I do wonder if it's because I've not kept up with my homework and let my guard down & fallen into my old behaviours

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes set backs happen. They do not stay as long as when this began. You know whats basically going on and how not to react or feed into it. New symptoms pop up and youll see you will get it under manageable control as wel. The last two lines of what you said are true. Yiu do have to be aware of your thoughts and feelings so to dismantle negative ones. The body likes familiar and habit are hard to break. Especially anxiety and gad and such. Keep challenging the negative thiughts and keep not responding to the badies pains that come and go. It will absolutely get better. And i know you know that. Its tiring but has to be done to break the bad habits formed.
    • Posted

You did have a break through look how much wiser you are now. Be proud of yourself and dont feel defeated by setbacks. They are tests that all..the old habit testing you..they dont get to win.
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa. It's difficult isn't it when you've felt 'better' for so long. I'm going to dig all my CBT paperwork out today and work through it may the hardest part is ignoring the aches and pains and to just dismiss them as anxiety again. You kind of think no I'm better they can't be anxiety they must be some serious illness x

• Posted

Its an up and down kind of thing. But dont give in to it. You just need to be there for you and love yourself enough to keep on it and not allow the anxiety or negative thought to win. Even with ailments the same thought processes are needed. We are more then just a body and its responses and we forget that sometimes. Look at those people who can walk across hot coals and be fine..the mind is such a powerful thing. It happens to me too where i slip backwards but i do know what is going on as you do and i challenege it as best i can..thats all we can do.it works over time. You will get back to being stringer and happier and manage the anxiety. You will. 
  • Posted

Im the same lynn for years I have gone through anxiety and depression and the negative thoughts and feelings. I always set good intentions then fall back, this time I am having cbt I have just started so I will see how it works. I was going to have hypnotherapy too but was told not to combine the two together as it may make it worse but im not so sure, I will see how the first few sessions go but Im still interested in the hypnotherapy. I want to change for good my thought patterns and behaviours because it does ruin your life at times and I feel this is why I still suffer from anxiety and depression Im 53 and I want to start to take control of my feelings and thoughts rather than them control me and find an inner happiness for what ever my natural years lets me live. its so hard isnt it but Im hoping this time, will be different for me because im more determined to see the glass half full rather than half empty
    • Posted

Good luck with cbt. It really helped me and since December I've been feeling soooo good well until yesterday when I've noticed I'm falling into my old ways of focusing on my body and symptoms (I have health anxiety and believe every ache or pain is a sign of cancer). When I completed the cbt I was meant to continue doing certain things to prevent the anxiety coming back and I think I've gotten lazy and not done them as much. I'm also in the process of moving house so my stress levels are through the roof at the minute.

• Posted

Hi sue

I had hypnothapy and it really helped me a lot,it taught me how

to relax,my lady gave me recordings of my treatment and l used

to use them on the days when l was feeling skittish and nutty (still

Do on my needy days)

Try it,it can be another coping skill.

Best wishes to you

G

• Posted

thank you lynn I suppose thats the key sticking to it whilst the course is ongoing you stick to it when its finished its up to you.Im wondering which is more beneficial the cbt or the hypnotherapy
    • Posted

I've known people have cbt and others had hypnotherapy and from what I've seen the cbt has been most beneficial. It changes the way you see and deal with things. Gets you challenging your thought process which isn't as easy as you'd imagine. I'd probably go with cbt if you've already started the course and see. Obviously it won't work for everyone. It certainly helped me. I think this relapse is due to me getting lazy with my thought control x

• Posted

thank you lynn i shall keep going with the cbt then see how it goes 
  • Posted

I had a bout of anxiety/depression three years ago and was fine for two years. Now its back with a vengence. It effects every single part of my life and now I'm on medication and seeing a counsellor. Its so debilitating which makes life even harder. I have three v young children and I feel like the worst mother in the world. I hope u get sorted soon. Ur not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.