Anxiety relapse after 13 yrs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had severe anxiety start 13 yrs ago during a stressful time. I felt far from myself-racing thoughts-fear of losing control- so I was started on citalopram 20mg and remember it taking weeks to take effect. But the good news for everyone is for the last 13 yrs it's really helped. Until last week out of the blue a full blown attack which hasn't stopped. I'll admit I missed some doses here and there but seems bizarre. Anyways they are bumping me to 30 for week and then to 40. The first few days on 30 have been really rough. Anyone else have any thing similar or recommendations. Wits end.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am so happy to hear that citalopram worked for that long I am frustrated for you that you had a relapse! I have been on citalopram 10mg for a year and a half it helped then started to get random dizzy spells which caused panic attacks so 3 days ago I increased to 15 mg I will slowly increase to 20mg. If I were you I would not increase to 40mg until your side effects have diminished. It is possiable for 30mg to be enough.
    • Posted

Yes it was a good run...I'm not sure about 40 either as 20 was good for so long. I just wish there was something else they good give short term with the citalopram until my body gets used to it. I'm full of adrenalin and my emotions are all over the place. They did give me a weeks worth of Ativan until next appointment but doesn't seem to have an affect on me. It's .5 twice a day

• Posted

A lot of people take Zanex until the side effects leave. Maybe you could call and ask for something else?
    • Posted

Thanks. From what I remember of first bout is that once sleep is somewhat back to normal everything starts improving. These nights of racing thoughts and night sweats/pacing are tough...
    • Posted

Yes they are! Hang in there it will get better! I will pray for you to sleep good tonight!
    • Posted

Just my input. Its real important to take meds around same time everyvsingle day. Missing doses messes with it. Im a pro at that! I dont do that anymore! Im currently not on anything but fixing to have bloodwork an nervously start Celaxa maybe. Iv tried 4 other ones an no go. Made me physically ill. Labs were high, etc..so hopefully it will work. Goodluck an remember " same time everyday".

• Posted

Hi Dave

I was on citalopram for 10 years. I am now about 2 weeks into not taking them at all having weaned myself off since April. A word of warning the withdrawal symptoms are terrible.

The reason I came off citalopram are the following. I was on 40mg and it stopped working. In march of this year I had a some sort of breakdown. Major anxiety and panic attacks and racing thoughts. Mood swings and huge bouts of low mood and tears. The reasoning was the citalopram was making me worse and certainly as I lowered my dose these symptoms lessened.

I am wondering if it is the same for you.You have been on them a long time and your body will have just got used to them. These anti depressants are awful awful things and I wish I had never ever been given them. Doctors hand them out like smarties and they do not think about the effects. What does help for me is the beta blocker propanolol. They are a life saver with the withdrawal effects. My advise to you is to think very carefully about taking a higher dose of citalopram as for me they were the problem , not the cure.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Had a decent nights sleep compared to the few previous. I am curious of propanolol as I have heard good things. I'm trying to stay positive on the citalopram as it truly did work for me in the past and I'm trying to not let this relapse change that. Mornings and mid afternoon are terrible and am wondering if propanolol might help get me through till I hopefully level out. I am also trying meditation morning and night but find it difficult in my current state

• Posted

Hi

I am on slow release propanolol and its brilliant. It stops the build up of adreline that starts a panic/ anxiety attack. It is working for me.

Just an idea, if you are aware of your worst times try to have things planned for this time. We are all different but the things that work for me are reading , watching telly, even doing online puzzles! Or being active going outside do a bit of gardening, go for a little walk anything that keeps you focused and busy until these moments pass. Have you any idea why these times are so bad for you? Are you having a low blood sugar moment , I find if I am hungry this makes me anxiety worse????

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Not really sure why it peaks at those times. Glad to hear propanolol works for you I'll be sure to mention it at my next appointment. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.