Anxiety Relapse, any advice will help.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm very well aware that my issues are anxiety based, so I do not need to be convinced of that.

I've been going through a lot lately. I had a severe anxiety issues in 2011 that led to panic attacks, anxiety, hypochondria, and more. I beat it myself without medication, and completed my undergraduate and my masters degree. Since then, two of my friends have passed away, one only a few months ago. Recently, my anxiety issues have come back, and I am having issues with hypochondria again. I have been to the hospital ER 3 times this month, and they have told me there is nothing wrong with me medically, and I know that, but the anxiety is getting the better of my mind again.

I've also had some minor relationship issues, but those are not the cause of my mental health problems.

Can someone give me any advice of how I can get my mind back on track without resorting to medication?

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Congrats on the Masters degree. You've been through emotionally and mentally. I hear you on the meds and not wanting to if possible. For me, trying to eliminate the stressors and begin therapy coming up. Having a plan has helped me also knowing I'm doing all I can. The older we get the more stress. I've considered a alone road trip to regroup my life. You must have an amazing mind to have accomplished what you have. Prayers for you to get through this tough time.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for this comment. It's been such a hard time for me, and battling your mind is such a struggle that most people do not understand. Your message was so helpful and has made me feel really good for now.

I work in a really high stress job, and I dont get too much spare time, so that's not helping much. What I have found really works is being around friends. Forcing myself into positive social situations has been so helpful for me, and has always been something that has accelerated the process of getting better. 

Thank you again for the message and prayers, it means so much to me. 

• Posted

Hi JP. Well done for managing your anxiety so well, it's a really positive step that you've identified it and its causes so quickly. I too have anxiety and insomnia which I have been using non-medicinal means to tame. I say tame because it's being naughty at the mo and needs some top-up training! I know everyone bangs on about breathing, but it is such a great way of helping prevent a panic attack and managing all those horrible physical symptoms. I breathe In for 4 then out for 8 seconds. It doesn't work unless I do it for a minimum of 15 mins though, so I set my alarm to make sure I'm actually doing it. i also do 10 mins relaxation religiously each day. The main thing to remember is that you've been through a trauma, which is bound to make managing your anxiety much harder. Take care and be kind to yourself.
  • Posted

Well jp, this may sound like I'm trying to one up you, I'm not.  I will share what has gone on in my life that I too have overcome without medication.  In the last ten years I have lost my adoptive Mom and Dad.  They both basically decided to stop eating, neither of them would agree to medical intervention, their organs shut down and they died.  My adoptive Dad and just about every other member of my adoptive family abused me sexually (male members).  My adoptive Mom was a nightmare, the movie Mommy Dearest doesn't even come close.  She hated me and abused me in every way, except sexual.  I found my biological family, my Mother.  At first it was all great, but I always had the feeling she didn't really like me.  Turns out I was right, she didn't.  She seems to have forgotten that I exist. I found out htat I had 2 brothers and a sister, was very happy about that as I had been brought up as an only child.  One of my brothers was murdered and my other brother died of throat cancer, both in their 40's.  My sister then was diagnosed with cancer of the cervix, she survived and is ok.  We don't have a relationship.  My partner Doug died on Dec. 21st in his sleep, he was 46.  I could go on about all the other people that have died, not going to.  I too went back to school and got my undergraduate degree, not a masters though.  I most likely will never achieve that.  Good for you that you did do that. 

I was having anxiety/panic attacks on a daily basis until about 6 months ago.  It was awful.  Turns out I have COPD and that was a factor in the attacks, ie. I couldn't breathe but didn't realize what was going on.  I've had two minor strokes last year, lost my ability to speak briefly.  Here I am.  I'm ok and putting one foot in front of the other and trying very hard to carry on.  I don't know what to say to you really other than don't give up, get up everyday and do the best that you can do everyday.  That's all we can do.  Good luck. x

• Posted

I think you need to think back to when and how you managed with it before. Keep telling yourself that you've dealt with it once, it didn't kill you, and you can do it again. I'm currently going through the same, I had terrible anxiety in school, managed to overcome it for the most part up until the end of last year, then started having daily panic attacks. All I wanted to do was stay home where I felt safe, didn't want to work or go out. What I did though was the opposite, I made sure I went out and faced my fears, the more you do it the more you train your mind into realising there's nothing wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not cured by any means, but I'm not having full blown panic attacks anymore. I'm on the bus to work right now feeling on edge, but I'm distracting myself by being on here and putting it to the back of my mind so it doesn't take over.
  • Posted

Anxiety seldoM resolves itself without treatment. I avoid medication and choose therapy, its a more effective way to resolve issues whrich mess never can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.