Anxiety, sleep apnea or something else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, a bit worried so appreciate any help/comments. Sorry for the life story coming up😢.

About 2 months ago I was throwing my child around and something bubbled in my stomach and went up towards my chest for lack of better term. After that my left chest started stabbing and got quite breathless so naturally thought I'd had a heart attack. Went to hospital next morning, everything came back ok on blood and x-ray. So went home again. Since then been having stabbing chest pains and back on top of breathing problems.

Around this same sort of time (few days before I went to hospital) I was trying to nod off and every time I'd be about to enter a sleep I'd feel like I'd forgotten to breathe and would wake up gasping for air. First night this happened I looked on Google, as you do and found central/obstructive sleep apnea. This continued for 4 days and I think I must have actually slept about 4 hours total in that 4 days, probably because my brain passed out on me, and then I took some sleeping pills (which I know you're not supposed to) and they did help me sleep. I did wake up a couple of times still and a couple of times I did feel very out of breath. But i slept. I came off of them after 3 days and then somehow was able to sleep again without them for a couple of weeks. Now I'm back in the same place doing the same thing. But sometimes even the sleeping pills struggle to keep me asleep all night.

My question is, could the sleep side be severe anxiety? Because it it was, I'd assume it wouldn't happen almost every time I'm about to nod off and my breath feels like it's starting to thin as well if that helps? Anxiety was listed as another main cause of this type of sleeping problem. Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Also in the lead up to this, took sertreline 50mg for ata week and100mg the day after. I'd taken 50mg before for a few months then suddenly came off of it. When I took the 100mg my temp spiked to 38.5 so stopped taking them while on the sleeping pills and moving forward to now, Any connections?

have spoken to drs (due to pandemic) but they think its probably anxiety. getting sleep apnea questionaire done anyway but taking a long time to get to this point.

Thank you for your time anyone who reads or answers

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

if you go get the test for sleep apnea, then you will know if it’s that or anxiety that is causing this issue.

also it’s important to wean off of the sertraline instead of stopping suddenly. A pharmacist could answer your question about the temperature spike and medication. i’m not a big fan of sleeping pills so if there’s another way to figure this out it would be to your benefit. maybe counseling? take care

• Posted

Hey, thank you for your message. I'm currently trying to get the nhs to send me for testing and its proving a bit of a nightmare. I've only just got them to send me a questionaire for it. Wondering if anyone else had problems similar to this but found it was anxiety. if it hadn't gone away once i'd say sleep apnea.

James

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.