Anxiety? Something else? Been a year of this and Im done.

Posted , 5 users are following.

First time posting here so bear with me.

Since last summer (Aug 2017) I’ve just had a tough time being myself. I work in finance I’m 37 w two kids and a wife and lead a fairly healthy lifestyle. ( No drugs, some beer and wine ). I’ve had these bouts of feeling “out of it” like my brain is just not functioning properly. I think too deeply about things like how I’m walking or how im opening/closing a door. Do I remember things correctly?    I have a semi- constant feeling that I’m off –balanced or about to become dizzy. Although it never happens, it feel like it will any minute.

Rewind to last year I had a few instances of lightheadedness which then sent my heart rate racing. This freaked me out. It was almost like a euphoric sense that everything around me was either standing still and I was moving or I was standing still and everything else was moving. I went to Urgent Care who ran an EKG, did some blood.,..nothing. Some time went by it happened again I went to a Neurologist who scheduled me for an MRI of the brain.  MRI came back = unremarkable.  I went to a cardiologist because I felt like the fast heart beat was something deeper with my heart. Again = nothing. My heart was “tachy”.   Finally I had a physical with my GP. Bloods, heart, lungs all tip top.

I’m going through another period of this “off feeling”, thinking too much, euphoria = heart race. I feel like if I go back to my GP he will just tell me everything is fine.. it’s Anxiety.

Any tips from the group out there?  Thanks a lot!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The symptoms you describe are all common with anxiety so it's possible this is that. Especially since you've been checked by doctors and such, it sounds like it probably is just anxiety/stress.

Have there been any major changes in your life in the last year or so that would cause anxiety? Any stress at work maybe or something similar? Usually something like that can cause anxiety issues to surface and show its ugly face. 

• Posted

Hey Philly , Thanks for the words .  Nothing aside from the daily stressors . Work/life balance I’ve just never had these feelings physically. Just makes me a ball of worry . Thanks !
    • Posted

Maybe try seeing a therapist? One who specializes in anxiety. They will be able to help you understand your anxiety and learn how to cope with it too, so it won't bother you as much.

If not at the therapist level yet, I suggest doing some researching online on ways to destress and keep yourself calmer. Exercising is always a good, easy way. Check youtube for some deep breathing techniques! These will come in handy if you find yourself feeling overly anxious, the deep breathing will slow your heart rate and calm your body.

• Posted

Personally do you not feel you are overthinking what is going on at work and that is pushing you down a rabbit hole.

Where you feel anxious what you need in your life ?

You have had all your tests so great you feel ok. You have however a Wife and family, a job you enjoy and now you have the understanding how many people rely on you, that can make anyone dizzy. I was a Planner and costing engineer and that and my Wife was still at work. We had a house in a country town and we were restoring it seven days a week, after work and weekend. We worked it out that we needed our time so we had no car and would go on mystery bus trip on one day at the weekend. That kept us book focused on each other and we began to feel fresh at work and the building site we were living in.

I do not suggest bust trips all I suggest you most probably need family time, even if it is just walking along a beach or river bank

BOB

• Posted

Hey Bob , 

You know the physical feelings I get seem to subside (or I don’t focus ) on them when I’m at the beach or a ball game or playing in the backyard with the kids . A lot of times the sensations come at work or in a store , in line at the mall . Just last Christmas I was shopping for my wife and I was so wound up and uneasy at the stores I had to leave . I couldn’t think of a trigger . But man it was weird . Thanks for the words !

• Posted

Hello William

We live in the countryside and I have problems with all the traffic, we prefer the peace and solitude 

Cities and their traffic and the people gets to me, I am always glad to get home and settle down

BOB

• Posted

Hello , 

Oh wow i have felt  what you have with the thinking to mug it’s like my Brain is another person and won’t sip tinkih to deeply , i think am i real? How am i thjnkknmg and talking ? How did i know that ? It’s like when i talk my head is also saying are you really talking ? Crazy crazy stuff like that and it’s all aniexty ! Nothing is wrong with you i think medication is needed and eating right with a exercise! Are you on meds ?

• Posted

Woah u nailed it . Today I was walking to the train and started thinking “ hey is my brain telling me to walk ?” Really odd stuff but then I take a breath , pause and say this is crazy !
    • Posted

I never believed in meds my whole family from my moms side has mental illness so i know it’s not me and i have no control over myself so i tried everything except meds and i was still feeling sick so i decided to give meds a try and you know what it helped a lot it saved my life , the side effects are so horrible but sticking it out and praying with gods peace and strength i pushed through it and now I’m better . It’s totally up to you on what to do about your sickness . Don’t ever let anyone tell you meds aren’t good for you cause for me they help a lot . It’s a chemical embalance and we lack serotonin in Brain and we need help so meds help it helped me ! 

Good luck with everything ! God bless !

• Posted

William - Unless they find something, it sounds like stress and anxiety. Lightheadedness, dizzy feelings, excessive thinking about things (intrusive thoughts), maybe you are OCD. I know that I have some of these tendencies. Of course, I am older, but fairly healthy. I had anxiety when kids were small. I was miserable and it is almost impossible to describe the symptoms. Now, kids are older and I worry a lot, I always did. Check out anxiety symptoms on Youtube, there are many that describe causes and symptoms, as well as people going through it. Since the mind and body interact, the cause (s) is/are either physiological or emotional.  You gave a time frame when feeling started, what was happening at the time? Or, has there been things on your mind for some time?  Job, family life, temptations, self-loathing, childhood issues, unresolved conflicts, etc., can all be contributing factors, even a boss or co-worker that weighs on your mind. My mother said that my father drank due to a boss that he couldn't cope with.  In retrospect, I knew that I was anxiety-ridden when I was growing up, it just didn't turn into full-blown neurosis until I was 17, panic attacks, phobias, etc. Look for life situations, self-thoughts, fears, even diet, lack of exercise, even religious issues can be factors. Hear racing, thinking too much, euphoria (I would go through this at night), next day, came down, are all symptoms of anxiety and some compulsiveness. If you are told that it is anxiety, then at least you have a definite diagnosis, so you can start working on how to control your anxiety. It sounds like something is bothering you emotionally/mentally. Find out what - see a counselor who specializes in anxiety - Do your moods swing, any family history of bipolar?  Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Gary . I do have a lot of history of anxiety , GAD in my family . I’ve never sat down and talked through it with someone . I feel like it’s time tho . Exercise does seem to help , but the little bug keeps coming back and crawling into my head . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.