anxiety sufferer , did i just hyperventilate?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello people.

this is my first time posting on here so take it easy on me smile

so basically i have had anxiety disorder / agoraphobia / social phobia / ptsd 

since suffering an attack when i was younger. i am ( 21 yo M ) now

so basically i was walking to my local shop , i didnt feel anxious at all to be honest as i had done this many time , but all of a sudden my breathing got serious , i feel like i was actually drowning . my throat was basically feeling closed , i had to force out BIG deep breaths to produce small out - breath , and this happened for about 40 seconds . everytime i breathed out , i HAD to take a massive breath in because i felt like i needed oxygen.

can this be a sign of my anxiety disorder symptom? ive never had this before , ive been on sertraline for about 4 months now after coming off citalopram due to chest pains. i dont think the tablets caused the issue though , please give your input if you have any information what this could of been as im worried and scared it will happen again , as it was my first time it really startled me and rushed home to lay down sad

thank you all

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes  definitely sounds like an anxiety attack, I get that sometimes 
    • Posted

it seems strange , ive had anxiety attacks many times , normally its major lightheadedness , loss of hearing , confusion , fast heart beat , sweating , and actually vomiting in some situations. but this is my first having this sort of hyperventalation series. do you think this was a one off or do you think theres more to come? sad
    • Posted

Hope it's a one off, try not to think about it too much as the more you worry about it the more likely it will repeat itself 
  • Posted

Yip im afraid its just another 1 for the list mate, the first time it happened to me I was terrified, I get it now and again but believe me if it does happen to you again you wont be so worried about it because like the other symptoms of anxiety you know it wont harm you and it will pass, take care smile
  • Posted

It is part of the panic attack yes. If it happens again, focus on your breathing for a few minutes... Breathe in through your nose to a count of 4, breathe out to a count of 8 through your mouth. My therapist explained to me that it happens because without realising it throughout the day you are not breathing properly and so you need to re -set your pattern almost to make sure you are breathing in and out equal amounts of carbon dioxide
  • Posted

Hello there.  I have had a similar experience.  I think these anxiety attacks can take many forms.  So difficult.  Do you think the medication you are taking is helping with your anxiety?  I am sorry to hear that Citalopram caused chest pains.  How did you find out it was the medication causing this?  

I can understand you are worried that an episode like this one will happen again.  That is natural.  I think if you worry too much it will happen, so try to be more relaxed when you walk to shop next time.  Easier said than done, I know.  We anxiety sufferers have so much to put up with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.