Anxiety, sweating and depression

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone,

A few years ago (at the age of 21) I started developing quite heavy sweats that were triggered by anxiety. Whenever I even get the slightest hint of anxiety, and it really doesn't have to be a lot, my whole body burns up and I start sweating prefusely. The severity of the anxiety dictates the severity of the hot flush/sweat. I saw an endochinologist who tested my FSH, cortisol, thyroid and a couple of other things and my cortisol came back a little high (310). My cortisol levels were then-re tested 6 months later but were deemed 'okay' the second time around and I was discharged with an advisory to see a dermatologist to help with the sweating.

These sweats have never improved and my condition and health has worsened. I now suffer with depression, mood swings, zero tolerance to stress, teeth grinding constantly, dizzyness, hot flushes, dehydration and a low heat tolerance.

Thinking back a few years ago, I was a very positive, confident and laid back person who very rarely sweated even in hot conditions and now I am almost the complete opposite of that person.

I'm currently really struggling with depression and I generally dont enjoy life. I am desperate to hopefully find answers to my condition so any opinoins or information you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Robert, anxiety is a crazy thing and can have all kinds effects. I get giddy and dizzy and feel like im burning up and gonna pass out when I have a panic. Such an uncomfortable feeling buy it gradually passes but it is so hard to tolerate. Likewise with your post about your confidence etc, anxiety has changed me alot from outgoing and really social to quite shy and nervy. Are you on any med?  Are you getting any support? 
    • Posted

I'm not on any medication or receiving any support currently. However I am going to visit my GP regarding this again.

The anxiety is far from severe though, that is what seems strange for me.

• Posted

I live for the winter when i can feel cold instead of uncomfortable all the time! Most of the year i can not sweep the floor, eat soup or go into a warm room without it literally running off the end of nose!!!! My father suffers with this too and anxiety so i try to live with it because doctors are so clueless and unhelpful
  • Posted

I could have wrote your post! I suffer from same symptoms as you, it's been going on for 2 years since having my baby! The swearing is really bad during any sort of physical activity. WhAt was your TSH level!? Do you know? Mine was 2.7 then after a few months it was 1.54 and they said Ita normal but I don't feel normal
  • Posted

The day after my first panic attack, the symptom that most freaked me out is constant excessive sweating, face, neck and arms, its like the sweat you get from working out for 4 hrs at the gym, I have to wear a large towel around my neck even in sleep.

I'm the same as you, positive, confident, calm and easy going person but now that part of me is gone.

• Posted

I forgot to mention the sweating lasted more than 2 weeks accompanied with constipation and lose appetite and for that I drop a lot of weight in a short time.

Anxiety is just damn crazy, sometimes I'm just laughing it out while tears coming down my eyes but hey you're not alone in this one, we'll get through this.

• Posted

Hi Robert.  Like you I have had anxiety from a young age first started with the fear of dying and then only being able to focus on this thought of dying which made it worse. It then became fears in general ie talking to old school friends.  Strangers. I've been on trazadone 300mg prozac and now just started citalopram 10mg. I get intense burning in my stomach like something terrible is going to happen. I'm hoping my medication helps although there is major side effects. Mental health is such a taboo subject although in general has always been in my family. Friends don't understand why I make excuses not to go out I get clenched jaw palm sweating and especially sweating from my head, tzone area. Like walking from the cold into a boiling room this is what it feels like. It sometimes cripples me the feeling in my stomach and very easily irritation or going from being elated to very angry when approaching a tense situation (shops, friends especially cues) I actually feel faint like I could pass out or be sick it becomes that intense. I hope you find all the support you need on here 
  • Posted

I am almost of your age and I understand what is it to be under depression which leads to anxiety and vice versa;don't loose hope try to be positive and accept your anxiety ;try to leave with it;we do all the stuff to be anxiety free but I simply doesn't work try not to feel isolated the worst is you can't express your anxiety with others as they won't understand just hope anxiety will leave you and you will be normal
  • Posted

Hey Robert, I'm kind of the same in this situation to where, If I feel a slight anxiety I just stress out and it makes it 100% worse all together. Then that makes me sweat, I hate it.

But at times the sweating can stop. Try working out here and there, run a little, drink a lot more squash or water, whichever you prefer!

Always here for a chat my friend.

• Posted

Hi Robert

I'm kind of in the same boat. I hate sweating. No one gets it. Even first thing in the morning in winter, I start thinking about everything I need to accomplish in the day and it starts. My story is really long and somewhat complicated. I'm in a marriage in which I'm truly suffering. I just had my right knee totally replaced and 3 months before that spine surgery. My husband treats me like crap so I have all this pain and then I'm sweating all the time. I can't take hormones because they give me blood clots. I'm so screwed!! If I could just get rid of the sweating maybe I could concentrate. I even moved close by the beach. No help. So what do you do if you can't take hormones or control your anxiety?? And I don't work so how do I divorce my husband and support myself. Life has been very hard.

So Robert, you're not alone. I'd like answers too. We must keep trying. My family doesn't care either. I feel very alone. It is depressing. I know I want out. I need to live.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.