Anxiety symptoms before pooping

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

Even when I'm feeling really chilled when my body is preparing to have a bowel movement I get really bad anxiety-like symptoms (sweating, tachy, shaking, shortness of breath) after I've finished it takes between 15 to 30 mins to settle and then I feel ok again.

Anyone get this? Any ideas? It only ever happens prior to a bowel movement.

Thanks x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

oh my god yes this happens to me everyday and thought i was the only one. i can be relaxing same as you then i get a buzz around my chest so thats usually when i know o actually need a poop.

ive googled it but everything i read is nothing to do with why mine does it but did read something about bowel movements and how just cause of the movement and you suffer with anxiety its just another trigger for your body to react

• Posted

Ha, exactly the same!! I always say I feel like a sinking feeling in my chest that sets everything off.

If you Google "healthunlocked panic attacks and other symptoms before bowel movement" you will see a post with loads of replies from people, but still no definite answers.

I'm still hopeful that someone one day will say...ohhhh that, it's just because of xxxx and if you do xxxx it will solve it. I've had it for well over 2 years now and it's making my life miserable.

• Edited

what i have read was because poop requires assistance to move, your blood pressure will rise and people who have anxiety will often feel this more than a person without anxiety

• Edited

yes! I will get dizzy & nervous! Then comes the feeling of the need to pass a bowel movement.

Anxiety does some weird crap. literally 😂

• Posted

Exactly the saaaame!! I get a dizzy spell and then this nervous doom feeling and then I realize my bowel is moving and I need to go to the loo. I start sweating, shaking, I find it difficult to breathe, my heart rate goes up and I go hot and clammy...sometimes if it's really bad I even get a bit confused and have difficulty standing. I poop and after about 15-20 mins I feel completely normal, as if nothing had happened

• Edited

it's a strange anomaly my heart rate will sometimes spike and weird stomach sensation and I can hear my heart thundering in my ears.

• Edited

Totally thought I was weird but I guess this is common. I will be sitting there, minding my own business, then all of a sudden I notice I feel like I can't breathe, then my heart rate shoots up. Feels like a full blown panic attack starting up, then a few minutes later feel like I have to make poops. I power through the feeling of death on the toilet. Like others said, I start to feel better after 20-30 minutes after.

Thankfully I know what's happening more so these days, so I seem to get through faster, but it does still suck and freak me out, especially because it's not every time (I think the randomness makes it scarier due to the "this is really it this time" feeling). I think it's worse when I have had caffeine or poor sleep TBH.

I think what another person said about your BP raising prior to bowel movements, and the sensitivity people with anxiety have to that quick change in the body is probably correct. Deep breaths, get on the toilet and get it out, then go for a brisk walk. Knowing you won't die is half the battle.

• Posted

"I power through the feeling of death" hahaha the way you said that made me laugh but yeah, it sucks!

And it's weird that it passes after about 20 mins for all of us

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.