Anxiety Symptoms Explained

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone, my name is Neil and I've been a member of this forum for a good few years, I've suffered from depression and anxiety on and off for the last 25 years and have had 6 relapses during that time, I have a pre disposition to depression and anxiety which means it's never far away even when I'm well but have managed long periods of being well. In my time I've experienced a gannet of symptoms and through therapy and CBT I have come to learn and understand the physiological reasons for the sensations, feelings and thoughts caused by anxiety and thought I would share these with folk, especially for those who are new to anxiety, have health anxiety or just would like to know why they are experiencing certain symptoms in the hope that it helps.

First of all anxiety is the body's alarm system and any symptom we experience when in the fight, flight, faint or freeze (FFFF) state is meant to keep us alive and is therefor benign and cannot harm us in any way. When the brain perceives a threat (real or imagined) adrenaline is released into the blood from the adrenal glands abd we experience uncomfortable feelings because the adrenaline makes the body systems speed up, diverting blood towards the big muscles preparing us to attack (anger), or escape (anxiety). The Amygdala is the art of the brain which acts like a smoke alarm ticking away in the background and is activated by things we consider to be a threat, triggering the release  of adrenaline. 

The Amygdala can be triggered by sensory information, thoughts, thinking, beliefs, certain behaviours and unresolved traumatic memories.

This is what happens to our bodies when the FFFF reaction is activated;

- Our brain is hijacked and thoughts race which makes it hard to think clearly and rationally with feelings of being unreal or detached. We then catastrophies, predict the future, become unable to concentrate and tend to focus on the trigger.

- Tingling or numbness in parts of our body especially the face or head, this is caused by the small blood vessels and capillaries contracting restricting the blood flow to that part of the body and diverting it to our big muscles.

- Dizzyness or lightheadedness caused as a result of faster breathing.

- Breathe fast and shallow, this helps us take in more oxygen which is transported around our blood system, this can some times give us a choking feeling.

- Stomach churning is caused by adrenaline reducing the blood supply to stomach as we don't need to digest when in FFFF mode, this can make us feel nausia, butterflies, or churning amongst other sensations.

- Muscle tension and "pumping up" which causes aches, pains, burning, twitching and spasm sensations is caused by blood containing vital oxygen and glucose sent to the big muscles to be ready for the FFFF response.

- Blurred vision or even improved vision is caused by the eyes widening to let more light in and cutting out our peripheral vision so we focus visually on the threat.

- Mouth dryness and difficulty to swallow is caused by the saliva glands switching off by the narrowing of the arteries as we don't need to eat whilst in FFFF mode.

- Body heats or sweats is a side effect of all the speeding up of systems and rapidly generating heat, the sweating cools us down again, it always so allows us to become "slippery" to allow escape.

- Heart beating faster and stronger is the body's way of rapidly sending oxygenated blood to the main muscles, it can also give us the palpitation sensation or skipped beat.

- Bladder relaxes as the inner sphincter muscle relaxed so you feel the need to pass urine.

I can't think of any other symptom presently but I think I've covered the main ones, I do realise and accept that everyone is unique and often present symptoms that are unusual, for me I get the corner of my mouth twitching upwards a bit like the classic Elvis lip curl, I can't explain it but know it only happens when I'm particularly anxious so know it's down to that. The other one I get is repeating songs in my head like a duke box again it's symptomatic of my anxiety and in some ways is a mechanism to stop me thinking more anxiety causing thoughts a bit like a defence mechanism.

I hope this helps folk to understand and in some ways be less frightened by their anxiety symptoms, feel free to PM me with any symptom not mentioned and I'll do my best to try and explain it but please understand I'm not a qualified Dr or psychiatrist I just have plenty experience with anxiety and the symptoms.

8 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This was informative- thank you....

I have had constant abdominal and back pain that is dull or sharp that won't go away... been anxious to the moon the last two months too. Can anxiety cause it to be chronic or just during a panic attack?

• Posted

Hi there, when I recently released I had terrible stomach cramps and pain, I thought it was IBS but my dr said it was symptomatic of anxiety and gave me peppermint pills it went within a day. What came first for you? Was it anxiety which resulted in abdominal and back pain or did the pain come first resulting in anxiety? Anxiety can cause chronic pain which then can trigger panic.

When your in a constant anxiety or panic state the main muscles such as your abdomen and back are likely to be pumped up and tense ready for action and if in that state for some time will become painful but I'd get the OK from your GP but my guess is it's tension. Neil 

• Posted

I echo Edwinas  comments.Thank you for your posting it is very , very helpful and informative and puts things into perspective. Thanks!!!!!
    • Posted

Well I was anxious about a lot of things, then came the pain, then the anxiety got worse... it seems like a bad cycle

I have had a ton of tests, not sure what is left on medical side except colonoscopy... however just had a stomach and pelvis ct scan with contrast that was normal

• Posted

It sounds like your brain has been hijacked by your anxiety if all the tests have come back normal, I'm guessing you suffer from health anxiety with the bad cycle you mention.

The rational way if looking at it is that your anxiety is causing tension in the ab and back muscles causing the pain.

In the time you've felt this way have you ever felt relaxed and not experienced the pain? 

I know that if you have any doubt about what the cause is you will fear the worst and this increases the anxiety as it latches onto the doubt, this is the brain hijacking.

Perhaps you should explore with your GP looking at how to manage your anxiety as well as any other tests you need but my guess us it's anxiety related. 

Neil 

• Posted

Yeah I notice when I take Ativan or even a bath it does feel better. Maybe that's because my mind is more relaxed.

Yes all my anxiety is based on health. Mostly cancer! I guess because I feel I have no control over a terminal illness. I feel I can control everything else in life and have a job most would think is stressful, but it's not to me.

Crazy how health stuff beats me down though

• Posted

Thanks Aspinan. Great post, especially for those trying to pluck up courage to ask about anxiety, hope they read post and feel reasured anxiety has many symptoms and there's lots of us out here to support each other. Totally get the' anxious about being anxious'. I worry if I'm not worrying , think I should be as my head never stops, then heart races etc, so frustrating. Glad you took time to post that, . Sometimes I post and then worry I didn't come across well enough. Lots of people on here give great advice, anxiety is awful and scary but is manageable. Wish I read your post 20 yrs ago , thought I was only one with strange ,anxious , feelings and thoughts.👌😊??

• Posted

Well said. I agree entirely. This forum is great and has taught me a lot as well as always being there for me. 

You do come over well btw!!!!

Thanks

• Posted

Thanks Edwina, I think anyone with an anxiety disorder will feel alone, confused, frightened and that they are the only ones exoeriencing it and therefor find it difficult to articulate what they are feeling, it's only someone who is going through it or has been through it that can empathise. 

I hate the symptoms of anxiety but am trying to accept them for what they are and not be frightened or "intimidated" by it but not there yet.

👍🏻 Neil 

• Posted

Thanks for reply. Always frustrating when you only have so much you can write and then wish you had put it differently, suppose it just helps to know there are people out here who care enough to reply, 😊??

• Posted

Hi, your post is brilliant and answers a lot of questions people may have about the affects of anxiety and depression on the body, I am glad you said about the jukebox as it is something that I have a problem with. Good to know we are not alone in all our symptoms. I wish you all the best .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.