Anxiety symptoms or actual HIV risk?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, all. 

In October, I had an encounter with a man who is not my boyfriend, now fiance. The encounter was unprotected vaginal sex, however he did not ejaculate inside of me. Other than feeling tremendous guilt, I have had no "tell-tale" HIV symptoms (fever, diahherea, night sweats, anything consistent with sero-conversion). I am also a graduate student and very stressed out in general. Recently, I began experiencing patches of dry skin, extreme fatigue, and severe anxiety symptoms. I had a negative rapid blood test in April, an additional one in early June, and just recently a fourth generation AG/AB blood test in a lab that came back negative. It has been approximately eight months since my last exposure, but now I have a mouth ulcer, frequent dry mouth, and I honestly can't tell if my lymph nodes are swollen or not. I keep assuring myself that I am just anxious and racked with guilt as all of my tests have come back negative, but I really need additional opinions. Similarly, I feel terrible for having betrayed my boyfriend and I can't bear to think that I could have passed something to him. Should I still be concerned about HIV? Am I just experiencing guilt-ridden anxiety? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

For something like this the best thing is to talk to your doctor and get tested for hiv or other stds. It seems like your going thru alot
    • Posted

Thank you. I have, I've spoken to both my planned parenthood doctor and pcp and they both say that no follow up tests are needed as the results have been negative 6-8 months out. I just can't shake the feeling that something may happen and I'll go for routine blood work and find out that I do have HIV in the future. 

• Posted

If your results are negative 6-8 months out then you are clear.

I trod on a disgarded sharp and had 4 months with 5 tests. At 4 months consultant said 100% clear

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reassurance. Subconsciously, I know that I'm fine. I think it's the guilt that is causing me to be irrational and "experience" symptoms. I'm glad to hear that you're clear!

• Posted

Yes ,it's guilt that is causing your anxiety. I was in same situation as yours ,mine was triggered from blood products. If I had blood test I would get worried about infection.

Your fine. Just stop thinking about it or else it will grow bigger. You don't want to it become big enough that it would freeze your mind. If you are not able to control it early ,see a therapist.

• Posted

Get another HIV test it your worried but for the future it matters nine that he didn't ejaculate inside you. During sex men pre ejaculate. Your not protected from STDS if you have unprotected sex and he doesn't ejaculate inside you, you can even get pregnant although not as likely from pre ejaculation. I think if it's been 8 months since the incident and you recently tested negative then you most likely did not have HIV and your just feeling guilty and having stress and anxiety over the situation...

In the future protect yourself, this time you were lucky but all it takes is one time as i am sure you know to ruin your life...

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.