Anxiety symptoms / Sleep disorder?

Posted , 45 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms below may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Symptoms below.....(also posted in sleep disorder forum).

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How exactly did you deal with these issues? I have these problems a few times a month and they drive me crazy. It takes me hours to fall asleep. 
  • Posted

Hi Everyone, I had a huge jerk about one hour ago so I got up and start

searching for a solution and landed on this site. I have been having

these types of attacks for several years. I believe that some night I go to

sleep with too much adrenaline in my body. This could result from two

sources.

1. - if I was working on a problem my body secretes adrenaline

to assist but I go to sleep with the excess in my body. 2. - I am security

conscious so I my bedroom door is not bolted or I believe an intruder

may enter during the night more adrenaline get created and remains in

my body and whilst falling to sleep and I become aware of

my surroundings, like a radio playing in the distance or someone talking,

I get jerk out of my sleep.

• Posted

I just saw this post and have experienced the same exact symptoms and have seen a ton of Drs. I've been tested for lyme 3 times. I have a dull achy pain in my joints...mostly hips and thighs. I'm achy and sore everyday as if i ran a half marathon and excercising makes systems worse and I have more pain. I'm same ache and was very active until this all started a year and a half ago when i changed jobs from working at same company for 16yrs. Anyway I wanted to ask you if you got any better

• Posted

I feel this to I suffered a bad panic attack 2 weeks back and had to go hospital over it I felt I was dying I was asleep and felt like I had died in my sleep no one understands unless they have experienced it them selves and you feel like your talking poo when your trying to tell them what's happend I have been anxious ever since and on diazipam and propranolol and fluoxetine I get upset and scared towards the night time because am terrified to go asleep I go light headed and dizzy my head pounds I have a diazipam of a night but feel it makes me worse I feel the same like a shock to your brain witch causes you to panic and breath heavy and my palms sweat I have to jump out of bed because I feel if I don't I will not wake up again I can't take it any more o have children and I can't function properly since it's happend will I ever get better or am I going to be deprived of sleep forever I'm scared to close my eyes

• Edited

Hi, 

I have a theory that might alternatively help your zaps/electric spasms. 

I'm 20 and my partner is 19, he currently suffers from depression, anxiety and infact has the same problem with sleep, just as he's going to fall asleep he wakes, twitches. 

As someone previously said, your fitness and on going life, brings you stress, correct? maybe you think,"not enough stress when I can't sleep",!!!

although stress is a main factor even tho you mighten feel stress mentally, your body is tired stressed, anxious physically. 

This being said, when you finally rest your body by the end of the day, it's now time for your body to try relax itself, when you lay down, it's almost like a relief, to finally distress yourself, and  when you are too relaxed laying there with no movement,I can bet muscle spasm will occur almost like a shock even so just as your about to fall asleep your muscles are so relaxed from its stressful busy life that that's what or why you probably just can't settle down,because of muscle spasms!  Your body twitches/glitches before finally trying to switch off 

Your body is used to the ongoing movement, that be said,  when it's time to settle down it becomes difficult.

let me give you an example,

- I have a 2 yr son, every night when he has to go to bed, his mind is so worked up and alerting still as if he's still got a days worth of energy still in him , but i know he's tired physically,  although his body can't  shut of because of it, your brain is the main factor to function the rest of your body, so that being said, your brain doesn't switch off- body won't either, 

Although when I do put my son to sleep, because he's had a big loong day his body tends to twitch, shock, spasm when trying to finally shut off, this does wake him, but only enough to just go back to sleep, why? Because he's mind isn't as well trained as we are, he will not understand wether these feelings are normal or a concern, so he goes to sleep regardless. 

Maybe the reason you can't sleep, because your brain tells it's that it's not something normal, what's normal is the energy rush ect. 

It's good to be curious, and I'm happy to help, although you should not worry to much at all,

I think the conclusion to your inhabited sleeping routines, is that your body doesn't get enough rest during day time, times comes to night, you've stressed yourself, been on going, your body can't shut off!! 

Best advice to you, maybe try laying down or resting 1-2 hours before sleeping, that way your body can twitch out with muscle spasms all it wants, that way going to bed shouldn't be much of a problem, or, try a hot water bottle, put it on a part of your body, this is stopping your body from glitching out because your body is focusing on the heat from that bottle, so therefor your not too too relaxed to the point you spasm ect, 

I hope Ive helped! 

• Posted

Did you get better and how long did this last .
  • Posted

Sometimes.. I feel that falling sensation going down as if I was on a swing n cold a little.. hard to describe, idk if it’s the temperature around me or just me. I get paranoid sometimes but at end I always try to fight it n I gave myself to god. I will continue to 🙏??🙏??????.. keep prying n it will all be gone b/c god is working on all of us, don’t let anything take control of your mind. Nothing 

• Posted

I see you wrote this 4 years ago and hoping you will respond back. I feel like I wrote this myself! These describe my symptoms spot on. I am 35 year old female. Two months ago I started to have jerking/twitching at night and have experienced it every single night for 2 months now. It came out of no where. Just like you mentioned, it happens when drifting off to sleep or sometimes even when I have my eyes closed for just a minuet. If I could count them, it would probably be between 15-30 times a night I will jerk awake. It is a horrible cycle. When I actually DO fall asleep I will stay asleep, however if I wake to go to the restroom, it starts all over again. I was so sleep deprived (literally only getting 2-3 hours for a couple nights in a row) that I went to the ER, and got no help. I say a Neurologist who gave me 50mg Trazadone to sedate  me. It is also used to treat Depression, which I do not have (I do feel like I have anxiety because of it though). The medicine has helped me sleep more. I still get them every single night and if I don't take the medicine it will literally keep me up all night. Sometimes the jerks are just a small twitch of a finger, and sometimes it is a violent jerk of my shoulder or leg. At the same time these jerks started I started to feel dizzy/vertigo/ off balanced for the vast majority of the day. It makes it very hard to concentrate when doing task or when someone is talking to me.  I also will have problems off and on with my feet not wanting to respond when I am driving and my hands feeling very week when I am cutting up food/ or cutting things with scissors, etc. I had an MRI that was all clear and numerous blood tests that were all fine as well. 

I hope you respond to let me know any updates you have had with this.

• Posted

Hi hun I used to get all this from bad anxiety have you tried meditation and relaxation techniques while laying down in bed to me it used to feel like my body went to sleep before my brain and I have that jumping feeling
  • Posted

Hi mate. I am going through the exact same thing that you were. To the dot. i got my heart checked and everything seems to be normal. i have been diagnosed with anxiety. i was really worried about it. good to know it is related to anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.