Anxiety tips to cop

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 34 year old woman and I believe I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I used to be able to talk myself out of these when I would recognize them coming on, recently that is not the case. I was in the ER because of a bad anxiety attack, I thought I was having a heart attack as well as maybe a stroke becaise of the symptoms i was having. But test proved that was not the case. I am starting to think it has manifested into health anxiety as well, any symptoms I have I feel they are leading to something horrible. I have anxiety about taking meds to help me when I am in a severe anxiety attack. I know it sounds crazy. I was hoping someone had tips that helped then overcome anxiety or if anyone has tried a mood stabilizers to help? I would appreciate any help.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

anxiety takes time to come to terms with you are not having a heart attack or a stroke these are symptoms of anxiety the more you worry about a symptom your anxiety will trick you and make the symptoms feel more real you must start to have a different approach to your anxiety start to understand it more research anxiety and remember DONT FEAR THE SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY they are not real once you lose the fear anxiety loses its power over you this takes time to learn but it works embrace your anxiety call a truce and you will start to make a difference

• Posted

Definitely true. The one day I hadn't had any chest issues at all. Thought about anxiety and how it must be related to my chest, and sure enough within about 20 min they came. 😞
  • Posted

do you have a therapist of a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

No I haven't seeker one out yet. I was wondering if therapist would be better then medication
    • Posted

No I am not I am honestly afraid of the side effects I do have 3 kids ages 4 to 13 and they keep me super busy I can't struggle with negative effects
    • Posted

So then isn't therapy the best option for you?
    • Posted

Honestly I have a 6 year old, a 6 month old, work a full time job and have begin my own small business, and none of my issues are from the meds. Celexa is a well known anxiety med with not a lot of people seeing side effects. They usually out you on that first. Your mind fights with you for maybe a week or two because it's basically an inner battle of you wanting to get better but the anxiety wanting you to still struggle, that's the best way I can describe it. Meds will help you.
    • Posted

I was hoping so I honestly don't know at whole lot about treatment that doesn't require meds. I am even open to natural ways
    • Posted

Where do you live?

Will it be easy for you to get a therapist?

• Posted

I live in California and yes I can get to a therapist no problem
    • Posted

Definitely get one then, i think it will help. I regret not getting one myself.

Can you do it soon?

• Posted

Yes I have great insurance! I honestly just have no clue how to tackle it but you guys are great and getting me in the right direction
    • Posted

Defintely get into therapy soon, it can really help.

If you need anything at all, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

You are not alone.

You can beat this.

Good luck and all the best! smile

• Posted

This is me to a T. I find hat if I stay busy and can't get those "Huh, I haven't done that weird breathing thing today.." thoughts, I feel fine. Not gonna lie, right now my daily anxiety is about a 10 which is causing some depression and changes in my usual mood. I have been here before and this is how I know I need to be on a very small mg. of medication for a while, to help me remember what it's like to not have those daily "is this a headache or a brain tumor?" Thoughts. Just 3 days ago I ended up in the ER after doing some googling on why I could see my pulse in my abdomen. After lots of tests proving I wasn't having an abdominal aeortic aneurism, they gave me an IV sedative and sent me home. You are not alone, trust me. PS, I am late 20s and have had anxiety all my life. Sometimes I get flare ups.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.