Anxiety & Travel

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.  Any advice will be gratefully received.  I’ve had anxiety following a course of tablets that I shouldn’t have been given with a history of anxiety.  I also have osteoarthritis in both knees.  We are due to go on hols in a few weeks time & I don’t know how I will get through the airport, sounds stupid when I write it down, but my legs feel like they won’t hold me up etc., don’t know if it’s from the arthritis or anxiety.  Also my poor hubby is so looking forward to his break I’m so afraid I will spoil it on him & being honest I’m afraid to tell him how I feel as he’s so good putting up with all i do or maybe don’t do & in turn he doesn’t get to do.  I’m trying to put CBT into practice but then I hit a wobble & yes I know I should live in the moment - I wish I could.  Sorry for being so long winded but any tips as I’m sitting here on the edge of my bed, knees burning and blowing the head off myself.. 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean, I can totally relate to what you are experienci g, I've had it myself. Family booked and paid for me to go to the channel islands as a birthday present. I was signed off sick from work at the time and felt mentally unwell. Everyone else had the usual thoughts and feelings - excitement and "can't wait" sort of attitude. It's hard to articulate isn't it. But the way I felt was that I just couldn't face it! I actually thought to myself "I can't get on a plane and feel cooped up and trapped. What if I had a panic attack whilst on the plane? I couldn't exactly ask the pilot mid- flight if he could stop the plane and drop me off on the next cloud! I honestly felt I couldn't do it. I went to my doctor and told him how I'm feeling and that I couldn't face going on holiday. He was brilliant and gave me a prescription for some tablets to calm my nerves. I honestly would not have gone otherwise. You say your husband has been supportive, you're not spoiling anything, just tell him that it helps you to share. He can then support you and this will help you immensely. Good luck. Donna xxx

• Posted

Ah Donna first time I laughed about this holiday, why? I can so see you asking to be dropped off on the next cloud 😂 it’s not even the flight it’s the getting through the Airport without making a t*t of myself, my fear is falling & as I’ve been told, sure if you do fall surely someone will pick you up!!  I’m on 2mg of anixcalm a day so I can up the amount I take for traveling - thank you so much for replying, I will tell hubby where I’m at, he’s so good, as I’ve been told, another one would be long gone - lol.  Will let you know in a couple of weeks how I got on, that’s if I’m not on that cloud you mentioned! x

• Posted

Hi Jean, thanks for your lovely reply. I'm sorry I've only just seen it. Don't know where I've been for the past couple of days. Probably in a world of my own as usual. You will be OK and I know how hard it is to believe that when your feeling the way you do. But there is help out there. Have you ever seen the film "The wizard of oz"? Well, when I'm anxious, I'm like the scare crow, wobbling all over the place. And just like he hasn't got a brain," my brain and mind is scattered. Thoughts rushing so fast through my mind that I couldn't even call them thoughts as it's just sheer panic and dread and fear. Then tears because as I'm sure you know what it's like, I get totally, utterly sick and tired of it. Then I feel depressed, down and hopeless. All I can do is wait for it to pass, and it does - until the next time... And who knows when it will strike again? Sorry honey, I'm not trying to make you feel down. I just want you to know that I truly understand how this illness can make you feel alone and "different". Or maybe that is my way of thinking. The reality is many people suffer this. We only human and having emotions is a part of that. Jean, tell yourself, so what if I fall down. It doesn't matter! Keep telling yourself, even if you don't believe it that it's no big deal. What's the worst that can happen. I doubt very much it will! I'm just trying to emphasise that I know you may not feel strong or powerful but you hold the answer, it is within you and you do have the power to diminished your fears. Remember :it doesn't matter. You can always lean on your husband for support! Keep me posted honey xxx Donna x

• Posted

Sorry to hear that sad I think you should consider telling him how you feel, I'm sure he would be happy to help you!! Maybe it will help you by telling him? Or you could ask your doctor for a tablet for travel anxiety, maybe diazepam. I hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi I can totally relate to how you are feeling, I think anxiety/panic disorders are horrendous, I agree with Donna, go.and see your doctor and I ask for something to help you get through this blip, diazepam is fantastic for short term anxiety/panic attacks and works quite quickly, I have always taken then on holiday with me and although they are not a drug to be taken on a regular basis and want be given for continuous use they will be given for short term use.

Tell hubby, he has a right to know and if you leave it till the last minute to tell him he may be totally unable to know what to do, take him dr's with you as well, I think once you have voiced your concerns you will be surprised how much better you will feel enjoy your holiday

• Posted

Hi good advice from the others.  I will also add if you are worried about your knees you should be able to use a wheelchair at the airport as long as you tell them in advance.  Even if you do or don't again if you ring the airport you can tell them of your health difficulties and they will ensure you will get on the plane first and don't have to wait in queues etc.  x

• Posted

“Thank you” so much to you all for taking the time to reply, it means a lot.  I took the advice and went for a walk & a chat with hubby, he is so good, we talked it through & as mentioned now that he knows I’m more settled.  Much more positive about it now & we have priority boarding etc., in fact we had a laugh, he said “sure you can sit and I will Q, then when we are good to go you can join me, then I will pretend I don’t know you” - lol.  In fairness I needed your push to tell him how I was feeling and what is/was going through this head of mine.  Again I say “Thank you” for your kindness Jx

• Posted

That's excellent advice, yes your right them knowing in advance gets you preferential treatment, I had fantastic treatment when I went on my first mini cruise, think they thought I might jump overboard, I loved it though and the young steward who they assigned to me LOL

• Posted

You are more than welcome.  I knew about this because I went abroad with a few friends and one of them had severe emphysema so we were all allowed to be at the front of the queue.  

I hope you have a great holiday.  x

• Posted

That's great, I think the saying a trouble shared is a trouble halved or something like that, you can pretend your famous, don't forget the sticks of rock for us all

• Posted

Lol - if only I could I would gladly - must keep an eye out for sticks of rock in Portugal & think of you all and your kindness x

• Posted

Bet your excited as well,I'm going Malvern in our van soon not quite the same but at least it's a holiday, bet it want be as warm and sunny though, usually rains, my buggy got stuck in the mud last year, was rubbish LOL

• Posted

Thank you all... you know what today I learned,we are all stronger than we think we are and I knew, but forgot, thinking about doing anything is the worst part... I was up at 4am (still dreading going on 2 weeks hols!) 3 hour drive, hubby parked car, bus to airport, checked in luggage, which meant standing, took every escalator that are so high, onto plane, 3 hours flight (lots of clouds Donna & thought of you & smiled). Taxi to resort I’m wrecked but SO pleased with myself and I didn’t fall or make a t-t of myself.  But I thought of you all enroute  & I just want to say again “Thank you” for taking the time to help me it means so much... Jx

• Posted

Hi Jean, is the mind a powerful thing, first off it convinces us we can't do something and then the part that you do have control of says oh yes you can and you did, I'm soo proud of you, you give hope to thousands of others who are feeling scared and fragile, I bet your hubby is so made up with you, what can I say but have a superb holiday, lots of chilling and come back and tell us all about it xx

• Posted

Well did you think I got lost-lol.  Had 11 great days out of 14 but took a major tilt on day 12, took dizzy followed by sinus infection, anxiety went through the roof, flight home mucked up my ears & im now a month with blocked inner ear infection, which makes me dizzy every so often.  But other than that I’m good - lol.  I was so pleased with myself getting there, but I’m sure there are lots worse off that me.  Take care x

• Posted

Hi Jean yep was beginning to think maybe you had decided you had got their so you were going to have an extended vacation LOL that's a shame you had to end it on a high note,,not,, but you actually did incredibly well and sinus/vertigo can hit whether we don't have anxiety or do, I have it on and off and I was given some incredible exercises to do every morning to help keep it at bay and it works really well once you get used to it, when you get up in the morning turn your head upside down and let it hang for a minimum of 30 seconds, it's not pleasant at first in fact I thought I was going to feint but thankfully you don't, if it doesn't clear first time do it again, up to three times every day till just doing it once works, I promise it really helps.

It doesn't matter that you think others are worse of, you conquered it and isn't that just amazing, I do feel proud to think that maybe the support from the forum actually helped get you their xx

• Posted

Without the great advice and a little nudge I wouldn’t have had the 11 lovely days.  I just wish these ears would unblock and get my balance back, everyone in this house if getting fed up of it all-as am I I just don’t know what else to do, tried without antibiotics, spoke to GP, told to take them, have taken them & still the same, as in ears blocked and crackling etc., I dread having to go to his surgery and have to sit and wait in case I take a “tilt” but I suppose if I could get into my head, what better place to do it!!  Anyway I will see what tomorrow brings maybe there will be two major ear pops overnight - yuck.  Take care & T’u for being so kind & everyone else on here. x

• Posted

Isn't it great when you take the bull by the horns and do something you are really scared of doing, you want topple it's just a sensation that is brought on by the inner ear and the crystals being in the wrong place, have you tried the head drop yet x

• Posted

Did I try the head drop, thought my head and everything else was going to drop - lol.  You know you just got to laugh at yourself sometimes (or maybe lots!!). When I tried it I wondered why did I just do that & what for....  what am I like, opps, maybe don’t answer that..

• Posted

So it made you really giddy, that's ok that's what it does and you keep it down till the feeling eases, it takes a couple of days to start to really help, it was a week for me but much better now, I still have to do it daily and that's six months since it started, I had the epley manoeuvre at doctors and it didn't help a lot, got to go back and see what else they can do, the heat brought it on worse I think.

Try not to get water in your ears either

• Posted

Well another crap day - so much so I rang Dr surgery- he kindly rang me back, we chatted but said best thing is for him to see me & see where we go from here.. he did mention my anxiety which I’m peed  off about, it’s not in my head, oh ya, my ears are on my head lol.  But, you know what I mean.     We will see what tomorrow am brings.  x

• Posted

I'm sure it's not in your head persa LOL but I think like me even real things we don't know at first if it's a MH problem or a real illness, Im better once I know what it is and can deal with it better than thinking what it can be.

Are you going tomorrow, sooner your seen the better.

I'm off to bed now as completely tired, I am having a problem with yawning, told that's in my head LOL hope you sleep well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.