Anxiety turning into insomnia..

Posted , 2 users are following.

So this past month my anxiety has been the worst it's ever been, but I've gotten used to dealing with it and the symptoms. But the past 3 days I have literally slept a total of 3-4 hours. Everytime I lay down my heart rate increases and even with breathing exercises it won't go back to normal. Does anyone else get this? The anxiety is enough to deal with on its self let alone with barely sleeping at night. I have never taken any medication as I told myself I would stay away from it but I feel like i need it temporarily. I'm going to the doctors later today.. Any advice on medication for sleep and perhaps for the anxiety?

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fab, insomnia is the worst symptom of my anxiety. I too have not slept for 3 days straight before and i know how crippling that is. Its impossible to function on no sleep and is a downward spiral as it makes the anxiety 100 times worse! I went to the docs and was prescribed citalopram (an SSRI) and zopiclone (sleeping tablets) and I found its really helping. You will (hopefully) be advised to be cautious with sleeping tablets as you can become dependant on them (take a look at the zopiclone forum!) but if you take them for a few days at a time to get back on track when you really need it they are perfectly safe and I've had no trouble with them. They have really helped me to get back to a point of normality and I'm now sleeping ok without them. In the long term of cause, you will have to deal with whatever it is that's keeping you up at night. Hope that helps and good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you ever so much! It's always nice to hear someone else's story! I am starting counselling very soon so I hope once I get my sleeping back to normal (perhaps with the meds) I will come to understand the underlying issue that's causing the anxiety. Thanks again x
    • Posted

Ye definitely, I've found its really helpful to have a place to come and talk to people who are going through similar things and realise you're not the only one out there! As sometimes it can really feel like that. Councilling is definitely a step in the right direction of your not sure what's causing it, but if you're in that much of a spiral from the insomnia you may still need something to get back to a point where you can physically go and get the best from it. How did you get on with the doc (if you don't mind me asking!)
    • Posted

I went to the doctors on Wednesday and explained everything that was worrying me. She did give me a sleeping pill for that night which I didn't even need to use which is good news, but I did use it last night because I had a mini panic attack right before bed. I went back today to get some blood tests for Aenimia and thyroid, and also had a ECG test but typical of my luck the machine was broke -__- ! I feel like next week when I go back for the ECG and the results of my bloods (God willing if there's nothing wrong) I think it will be a huge step into not worrying so much, which is killing me right now. I still have no meds for the anxiety because where my thoughts are so fixated with my health atm, I just need that reassurance that I am in fact okaysmile one week today is when I have a phone assessment for LIFT psychology so hopefully it won't be long till I get the help I need!
  • Posted

Good Morning Fab

I have experienced this in the recent past, although it hasn't occurred for a while. When I did suffer with it, it was almost every night like yourself, and I started to think, then dwell on what it might be. Typically, I ended up believing there was something wrong with my heart.

That's enough about me. I just wanted you to know I could speak from experience.

The very fact that you have just started to come out of an intense period of increased anxiety lasting 3 to 4 months would suggest it may be a lingering symptom. The natural worry about it only feeds the fear and anxiety, and that makes it even worse, and so on, and so on.

I think you are doing the right thing checking with your GP especially if it is a relatively new unexplained symptom rather than something you are used to. In my case, rather surprisingly, when I was under the care of my CPN, he prescribed an Antihistamine which is mainly used for allergy conditions, but it has sides effects including drowsiness.

Because I was on other very addictive meds, he said he did not want to add another problem on top, whereas these tablets could be stopped at any time with little or no withdrawal symptoms.

I hope all this makes sense for you and I hope your GP is able to reassure you and you come away feeling better, or at least with some answers.

Wishing you well.  :-)

• Posted

Yeah I always come to think there's something wrong with my heart and that feeds the anxiety with more fear in a never ending evil cycle. I will discuss this with my gp for sure.

I was always weary of side effects from medication and how addicting they can be but i will take caution with this.

Thanks for the reply smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.