Anxiety/Vivid dreams/insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

can anyone relate. i suffer from severe anxiety and depression. and it seems that when im going through a rough time, i have vivid dreams, like nightmares that i wakeup from in a panic. the dreams dont really make sense but they startle me and tend to cause even more anxiety (fear). i think its when the anxieties that you experience when your awake, creep into your REM of sleeping. Your brain tries to put all those overthinking thoughts together and scrambles it. because basically your mind is scrambling all day. can someone help or relate?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I believe you are absolutely correct. Everything we think about during the day, the brain takes in. And then when you go to sleep everything gets scrambled up. Anxiety can make it worse. that’s a reason that people get racing thoughts during the day because with anxiety the brain is on overdrive. The key is to try and manage the anxiety at least to the point where we can have a good nights sleep. Yes I can definitely relate to you.i’m trying to work on changing my thoughts to more positive ones during the day and releasing the negative ones. it’s possible but it just takes time to retrain the brain. but little by little day by day it’s doable. you can check out lots of videos on YouTube about anxiety, racing thoughts, dreams etc. I know that cognitive behavioral therapy works and helping to reverse that also. A counselor would know about it. Take care

• Posted

this started happening to me about 2 weeks ago after I had my first "anxiety/panic" attack. slept for 3 days, then couldn't sleep for 4 days. thought I was gonna die. then I was finally able to start sleeping. which lead to nightmares every night for 10 days where I would wake up shaking, unable to breathe. last 3 days have mellowed out. dont know if this helps. but try to accept that you have stuff in your mind that's unresolved and your brain is trying to work through it. mine were all death related. not neccesarily me, just in general. it sucks, but you're not alone. keep enduring and it will eventually pass. this didnt developed overnight and it's going to take time to heal.

• Posted

Yes I've had a few of those not a lot but I'll get 2 nights in a row of them and there awful vivid dreams and I'll wake up as if I've really been in that dream and feel what I would have felt and it's made me lay there feeling terrible panic attacks and even crying,

I've suffered depression all my life,

And always have something with my family dragging me down,

My mother is an alcoholic and my childhood I never felt loved by her I just looked after 3 brothers at the age of 13 years old because she left us to stay with some man she met,

The list goes on,

I moved out but still get the phone call from my dad "she's back drinking a litre of vodka again" and i relive it over and over

She beat stage 4 breast cancer and is killing herself by drinking, she is 6 stone,

I dread the phone call I'll get because as well as her dying they all lean on me to help them,

Me I had no help growing up I had to do it alone,

Anyway I'm ranting on and on lol sorry x

• Posted

Some meds for anxiety actually can make dreams more vivid , my dreams are like real life, every sense works, I can smell the things in my dreams, I eat in my dreams I can taste the food,If I get pinched or bitten by a spider in my dreams, I feel it. I hate the scary ones , the dreams that creepily make no sense. That saying pinch me to see if I dreaming that wouldn't work in my dreams I would feel the pinch no matter what.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.