Anxiety vs asthma - how do I know which one it is?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm hoping someone could give me some help or shed some light.

Last year I was diagnosed as having anxiety and shortly afterwards I was diagnosed with having asthma due to being tight chested and not being able to breathe right. However I'm not 100% convinced it's anxiety and even though I've been prescribed inhalers I don't use them - partly because I'm worried it's not asthma and also when I did use it previously my heart raced and I felt shaky (not sure if it's because I was scared about taking it)

I have been back and forth to the drs and to see the asthma nurse, who has now referred me to see a respiratory therapist.

What my question is is how can/do people know if the tight chest and not being able to exhale is a sign of anxiety or asthma?

I am really struggling with the 2 and as a consequence I get all panicky.

Is anyone able to help?

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi we all say that it can't be anxiety. But believe me it sounds like anxiety. Most people who are looking for answers about anxiety. It's scary and make you feel ill . shake s feeling sick head ache s. Funny feeling all over your body. You're right about the tight cheat i also get this. Then you'll mouth go's dry sweaty hands leg's like jelly. Sounded like you . Anxiety is very smart and controlling of your brain. Have a good read up on it . hope this helps.

Remember that you are not alone.

Regards shell

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Shell

I use to get all those symptoms when I was first diagnosed with anxiety but as time has gone on, some of these symptoms have now gone (or I don't notice them as much these days).

My breathless is worse scares me as I think I can die from an asthma attack but not from an anxiety/panic attack.

I know I shouldn't think like this but that what goes through my mind.

I did read up on anxiety but when I read stuff I convince myself I have other things wrong with me - catch 22.

I know I'm not alone but there are timer when I sure feel like that.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up