Anxiety when meeting someone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys

I get anxiety when someone asks me to meet them or when i have to meet someone for the first time especially if it is a date. I end cancelling most of these dates. Does anyone else also feel the same way? I feel quite lonely because of this. My usual symptoms are lower back pain, tightness in chest and fear of unknown. Wish i had friends who would understand. I live in Dubai and so far haven't met anyone with anxiety. Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello This is what anxiety does to us.  It keeps us fearful of the things that we find joyful.  The thing that would be best for you is, to not allow you thoughts to stop you from doing what you enjoy.  By doing so, you will prove your fearful feelings and thoughts wrong.  By showing that you can endure the fearful thoughts and feelings.  It's called "Feel the fear and do it anyways!"  I have had all they feelings that you have had, and I pushed through regardless of how I felt, and found courage in doing so.  Hope this helps. 

"I have had a lot of worries in my lifetime, most of which never happened" Mark Twain

• Posted

Thanks. Very helpful. It is the physical sensations that really freak me sometimes. I guess need to persist with going out and meeting people - perhaps that might help in getting ridding of the anxiety. I know i won't die but sometimes when it comes i just lose the ability to think logically...
    • Posted

JP has good advice as well.  When we learn to control our breathing we can calm ourselves.  Those that suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, etc. We tend to have shallow breathing, basically hyperventilating.  I know it is easier said then done, but practice makes progress.  But,  tell yourself "This is my anxiety thinking,  I may feel some discomfort maybe a little miserable, but my anxiety feelings are not dangerous!" Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

this seems normal.

have you tried breathing techniques?

• Posted

I've experienced anxiety over meeting people in the past as well and understand exactly how you're feeling. I can tell you without a doubt that you have to have met someone else with anxiety in Dubai even if you didn't realise that they did, anxiety is extremely common all over the world, so know that you far from alone in this.

It's extremely hard to push through that fear but you need to, do not let your anxiety control you. None of your symptoms are abnormal, Chamamille tea helps with the back pain and can help ease your anxiety, meditation and listening to music are also extremely helpful, try to pinpoint the thoughts coming from your anxiety and see past them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.